Do old people like getting help from others?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Teresa20808
    Participant
    How do elderly people feel when they find little by little that they cannot take care of themselves as well as before, and have to depend on the younger generations to help them? Do all elderly people dislike this dependence (as my grandparents seem to dislike it), or do some elderly people welcome the extra care from younger people?

User Detail :  

Name : Teresa20808, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Macomb, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Liz28809
    Participant
    My (older) parents do not expect anyone to help them, mind their own business, and hire out for any needed housework they can no longer do themselves. On the other hand, we recently had the misfortune of moving next to an elderly couple that actually expects us to help them with everything, from changing out their storm windows, lifting heavy objects up from their basement, shoveling their snow, house-sitting plants, collecting their mail when on vacation, etc. They offered us their snowblower, but then we realized that it meant snowblowing their sidewalk and driveway every time it snows. (We passed on the offer). I should point out that when we asked a simple favor of them, they outright refused to accommodate us. What goes around, does not come around with this couple, and we feel terribly taken advantage of by them, and that they used their age to get over on us. Ever since we set boundaries and stopped helping them, we saw their true colors, and realized that we were just being used. I think there are those that may appreciate the help, and others that will selfishly take advantage of others by using their old age as a tool to get what they want. I just figure that selfish older people were once selfish younger people. Age has nothing to do with it, selfish is as selfish does.

User Detail :  

Name : Liz28809, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Elmhurst, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    Some elderly people become very saddened by their loss of independence. Some become afraid and that fear may manifest as anger and resentment at younger people who can still do what they can no longer do. But my parents are both 70 and I'm 49. My dad recently game out to help me remodel my bathroom. I couldn't keep up with the man. He was walking through the lumber store with a 4'x8' piece of 3/4" plywood in his hands all by himself! By keeping as active as he does, I think he keeps his independence longer. I work in a nursing home. Many of the residents I care for have lost the ability to do anything for themselves. And some of them are grateful when you help them, others are resentful and still others have no idea what's going on. Some do nothing all day but eat and sit in their wh

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    I think it's a bit of both in most cases. For example, I live with my 62-year-old grandmother and her 79-year-old boyfriend. While I do the heavy lifting around the house, my grandmother actually REFUSES to let me employ the feather-duster, so to speak. Her boyfriend is still convinced he can do the things he did when he was a lumberjack in the bygone era of the 1930s and 40s, despite the fact that he's a diabetic with a limp and a heart condition who gets tired walking from room to room. Lately he's been getting worse, though, and seems content to watch and tell me what I'm doing wrong all the time when I'm working around the property.

User Detail :  

Name : CraigMcLennan, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Duncan, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student/sales associate, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Anita
    Participant
    I have found that older people tend to be embarassed by their lack of skills as they age. Most are very happy to accept help IF it is offered in a respectful way. If I see someone having trouble getting groceries out of their cart into their car, I just smile and say, Hi! Let me give you a hand! If you say, you are having trouble and I must help you, it seems like it's talking down to them. It's that crazy r-e-s-p-e-c-t thing again!

User Detail :  

Name : Anita, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.