Do Jews hate Egyptians?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Karim
    I am an Egyptian Muslim who has more than his share of knowledge of Judaism. I found it to be a very nice religion, one in many aspects similar to the main two religions of Egypt (Islam and Coptism) and often similar to ethnic habits specific to Egypt. Yet two points annoyed and worried me: 1) In the book of Genesis, there's a story of Noah's son Ham seeing his drunk father's organs, as a result condemning his projeny to damnation. Later on, Mizraim (patriarch of Egypt) is listed as one of the progeny of Ham. 2) How do Jews feel about the book of Exodus? Do they still hate Egyptians for the bondage? And how do they compare this bondage to the genocide of Canaanites and coastal Philistines by early Hebrews?

The above two points have sown great worries in my heart about Judaism and have me concerned that the Egypto-Israeli conflict is not due to politics but ideology. I would be interested to hear from Jews about these topics.

User Detail :  

Name : Karim, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Jesse-N30796
    Participant
    I don't share your apprehension. Egypt was, very courageously, the first Arab nation to reconcile its relationship with Judaism and Israel. While relations today with Israel are not entirely warm and cheerful, that is to be expected for two countries so different in many ways. More important is the fact that Egypt and Israel have never once violated the treaty and the normal conduct of nations. On a personal level, I know of no one who has a loathing or dislike of Egyptians. I was in Cairo about 12 years ago, and I've been in the Sinai many times, and never once had any bad experiences. It's not a problem.

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse-N30796, Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, Age : 40, City : Herzliya, State : NA Country : Israel, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

M.W.
    Participant
    No, Jews are not supposed to hate Egyptians. In fact, the Torah says Jews should not oppress strangers, because they were strangers in Egypt. That sounds to me like Jews should note how the Egyptians welcomed Jacob's family during the famine and treated them well until the new, mean Pharoh took over. Indeed, there are people the Jews are told to dispise in the Bible, like the Amelekites, but the Egyptians are not among them. During the Israelite monarchy, they sometimes ally themselves with Egypt.

User Detail :  

Name : M.W., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Michael P.
    Participant
    The inhabitants of modern day Egypt are most likely not related to the Egyptians mentioned in the Bible. I would be surprised to find one Jew who would make that connection, but it is beyond my scope to represent the thoughts and feelings of an entire nation even if I happened to belong to it. I know that at the many Passover Seders that I have sat through over the years, not one member identified the Egyptians of the Exodus story with the those who inhabit Egypt today. Neither does the text (Haggadah)make those inferences or any commentaries on the Haggadah. In fact, Jews are not instructed to hate Egyptians even after all that occured some millenia ago. I say 'not instructed' to imply that the opposite command does in fact exist whithin the Bible: Jews are instructed to hate members and descendants of the tribe of Amalek, the incarnate of pure evil according to Jewish lore. Who they are, nobody knows. In the Bible they attacked the young and old of the 'children of Israel' as they made there exodus to Israel. Haman the antagonist of the Purim story (I will assume your familiarity in this subject, but if not e-mail me)is supposedly an Amalek, although he lived some centuries after the his ancestors attack on the Israelites. There is a comtempuous feeling amongst Jews for Haman, if I can make such a statment probably. This was a man who attempted genocide of the Jews, which with the Holocaust still looming large in the Jewish past, many jews have an easy time connecting the two. A yearly sermon at Purim time helps. Rabbis annualy remind Jews of the commandment and try to instill the proper feeling, holding back their earnest beliefs. But I have never heard Rabbi say the same about modern day Egypt nor ancient Egypt. There is no commandment for it, and many look at the enslavement as a neccessary evil. If any hateful thoughts are made they are made towards Paroh, if any. But there may be actually some remnants of unease towards the land itself since it is a reminder of a terrible time in Jewish History. Several commandments help obfuscate the issue: Jews are not allowed to permanently live in Egypt and they are not allowed to acquire Egyptian horses. Such rules perhaps do operate an affect within Jewish -Egyptian relations at least between the orthodox and conservative Jews and the latter. But it is hard to say. I have spent too much time here so e-mail if you have anymore questions, but I hope i have helped you out

User Detail :  

Name : Michael P., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 23, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

sharon
    Participant
    I find it hard to believe that any jew hate egyptians because of biblical stories. moreover, lately there are serius doubts among israeli historians about weather hebrue people were ever slaves in anciant egypt. most jews i know (and thats about everyone i know) are interested in egypt, hystoricaly and actually, and i myself am looking forwards to visit your interesting country.

User Detail :  

Name : sharon, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 39, City : tel aviv, State : IL Country : Israel, Occupation : social worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andres
    Participant
    'Genocide'? I dont know if any mass slaughter happened. But the Philistines and Canaanites were defeated by the Hebrews. Ive read, however, that the Philistines and Canaanites assimilated with Arabs of that area (adopted Arab/Islamic culture, Arabic language, etc.) and eventually 'melted' together, if you will, and whose modern day descendants are they who are called the Palestinians.

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.