Divorce, American style

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

A. Urbonas
    Participant
    In my opinion, divorce is so prevalent in Western countries because personal satisfaction is one of our inherent needs moreso than in any other culture or age. Commitment is negotiable, and 'til death do us part' are formal words without meaning. Through the ages, no one person has met all the needs of his/her partner. But it is economically feasible to divorce. (I remember reading about a Hungarian couple who divorced, but because they couldn't afford to separate, still lived together, and slept in the same bed.) If I don't have any perfect friends, why should I expect to have a perfect spouse? Marriage as portrayed in the media is a disposable relationship when it becomes too difficult. The Bible teaches that marriage is a covenant/agreement between a man and woman where each cares for the other, and is committed to stick it out, come what may. I have heard it said that how a couple handles disagreements and differences will in large part predict how long their relationship will last. Ask anyone who has celebrated their silver, gold or diamond anniversary.

User Detail :  

Name : A. Urbonas, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 47, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Childish
    Why is the divorce rate in the United States the highest in the world? What are some of the social, psychological and economic reasons? I totally have no idea about marriage.

User Detail :  

Name : Childish, Gender : F, Age : 19, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

H.
    More detailed analyses of the data on divorce rates are revealing, as are surveys of those who are married. The couples most likely to divorce are those who get married too early and for the wrong reasons, especially those who get married just because they think they are supposed to marry. However, more relevant to your question is the case of Europe and other parts of the developed world besides the United States. European divorce rates are low because people know it is OK not to ever get married, and that one can have a full life without getting married. Divorce rates also are lower in Europe because their culture is not dominated by a Puritanical religious right, as is America's. Americans don't understand the importance of living together before or instead of marriage. Americans also tend to believe people should get married. People need to learn that they should only marry if it is right, and not to do it unless they're sure. Fundamentalist right-wing 'Christians' have much higher divorce rates than mainline Christians because they get married early and because they believe marriage is a mandatory duty. Also, inequality in a marriage is highly correlated with divorce. The only healthy marriage is one of equality in which the partners share roles based on their individual personalities, not based on arbitrary divisions such as gender roles. Men and women must be equal in marriage for it to be successful. In the developing world, divorce rates are low because there is no freedom to divorce. As a result, most married couples live horrible and unfulfilling lives with the wrong people. Please take marriage seriously and don't commit until A) you and your partner are both over 25, B) you've been dating for three years, and (preferably) C) you've lived together for a year.

User Detail :  

Name : H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : white Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Frances O.
    I am not sure that the divorce rate is higher in the US than in all other or even most other countries. Many third world countries do not keep records of marriages and divorce. There is a high divorce rate here because people do not think about what they want out of life. Many think marriage will solve all their problems and when it does not, they abandon it. Also, alot of men are unfaithful and do not want to help out financially. Also, if the wife is more stable or intelligent, the man feels threatened and becomes abusive. The families of husband and wife have no obligation to see that the marriage works, unlike in other cultures.

User Detail :  

Name : Frances O., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 68, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

lawyer
    hi i'm a lawyer in Turkey please do not hesitate to contact me for any kind of legal and commercial information and help regarding Turkey and Turkish law merveg138@hotmail.com

User Detail :  

Name : lawyer, Gender : F, City : istanbul, State : NY Country : Turkey, Occupation : lawyer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

lawyer
    hi i'm a lawyer in Turkey please do not hesitate to contact me for any kinds of legal and commercial disputes regarding Turkey. merveg138@hotmail.com

User Detail :  

Name : lawyer, Gender : F, City : istanbul, State : NY Country : Turkey, Occupation : lawyer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

millie
    Participant
    americans are the most fucked up people in the world (if u ask anyone who isn't american) and thus are the worst at relationships as well as most other things that involve treated others like human beings

User Detail :  

Name : millie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : wasp, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Brisbane, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : customer service, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.