Display of Confederate Flag

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Justin O.
    Participant
    Why is it that people are not wanting the Confederate Flag displayed and want it taken down from state capitols and out of courtrooms?

User Detail :  

Name : Justin O., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Naples, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Lexie
    Participant
    It's because the Confederate flag is viewed by many as a symbol of the racism of whites toward blacks. I did see a Confederate flag with the words, 'Heritage not Hatred' printed across it, and I could understand that, but to be honest, when I see a Confederate flag, it only serves to remind me how poorly blacks have been treated in this country.

User Detail :  

Name : Lexie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : Fayetteville, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Samuel
    The Confederate Flag is often explained as a symbol of respect for the Confederate war dead, and as a symbol of Southern heritage. However, in most cases, the flag was not flown, and did not achieve its widespread popularity, until the late 1950s or 1960s, obviously as a protest against the Civil Rights movement. Where was the need for this symbol of respect and heritage before then, other than in close association with the Ku Klux Klan? The fiery allegiance given to this symbol is yet another example of the United States' propensity to forget or distort popular history in order to appease the whims and conscience of the (white) majority. Have we forgotten that the Confederacy itself was the embodiment of treason, an attempt to destroy the Union? And for what 'noble cause?' 'States' rights?' States' rights to do what? Enslave and abuse their fellow human beings, among other things.

While those who died on both sides deserve to be honored for their courage and sacrifice, we can also remember that most Axis soldiers killed in World War II (many of whom died clinging to various levels of patriotism) did not participate in war-crimes atrocities, and could be said to deserve the same honor. Did that make the causes their respective nations were fighting for honorable? I hope not. How many people throughout history have given their lives for causes that we might deem unworthy, misguided or even wicked? Do we really honor them by distorting the facts about what they died for?

For many freedom-minded Americans, the 'Stars and Bars' is a symbol of oppression, treason and divisiveness; its supporters need to take an honest look at history and decide which American ideal they support: the unified America of Abraham Lincoln, where all human beings (regardless of color) would have the opportunity to pursue equality and freedom, or the America of Jefferson Davis and Nathan Bedford Forrest, where the color of someone's skin determined whether they would be pursuing a lifetime of happiness or brutal enslavement.

User Detail :  

Name : Samuel, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Firefighter, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    You don't have to be black to be offended by a flag that encouraged people to try to found a nation based on bigotry. For those who find it important to express pride in regional heritage, there are ways to do it, I'm sure, without relying on a symbol of oppression.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Leslie
    The truth of the matter is that the Stars and Stripes flew over slavery much longer than the Stars and Bars. The primary issue in the war between the states was cotton: the South wanted to sell to England directly, and England wanted to buy directly from the South. The North wanted to profit from being the middleman. Lincoln made slavery the primary issue only when it looked like England would enter the war on the side of the Confederacy, because England was solidly anti-slavery. I think we have enough substantive work to do to make the country free for all of us that we should avoid getting mad about symbolism.

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 54, City : Topeka, State : KS Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Melinda A.
    Participant
    In my opinion, the Confederate Flag is nothing more than a symbol of our history. I did not enslave anyone nor do I support discrimination of anyone..regardless of their background. However, I do grow weary of turning on my TV and hearing yet another person trying to change something simply because their feelings are hurt. None of the folks who are protesting the flag were ever slaves. Like it or not folks, this is our history. North and South. Rather than make such a 'to do' over things like this, why not use it as a reminder. A reminder not so much of what was, but a reminder not to allow such events to be repeated?

User Detail :  

Name : Melinda A., Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 46, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : professional, 

Andres
    Participant
    Ok, i can understand the racist connection to the CSA flag (although the flag you refer to is the battle flag, not the official flag), but dont ramble on about the evil South and the benevalant to all races North. The US flag flew over the capital of many a slave state, not to mention Manifest Destiny (stealing land from and murdering Indians and Mexicans) declared in the name of the USA. The North was founded and built on slavery just like the South. So if the Confederate flag means slavery, the US flag means slavery and genocide. By the way Abe is not the mythical liberator of blacks many would have you believe, he was as racist as they came. Read about the REAL Lincoln, he couldn't've cared less about blacks. He declared war on the CSA to 'preserve' the Union, he didnt care about the well being of any African-American. Lastly, the CSA was wrong with slavery, but they did not commit treason, there is nothing in the constitution that says a state(s) cannot withdrawal from the union. Meaning the 'Civil War' was not only unconstitutional, THERE WAS NO CIVIL WAR. The US invaded the South and captured it, period. Remember, the South wanted independence, not to take over the North, as Lincoln wanted, and did to the South. Same thing is going on now, if Hawaii wants independence, there is nothing in the constitution that says they cannot have it. If Key West wants to declare independence from the state of Florida and the USA, so be it. Same for Puerto Rico, if they decide they dont want to be a territory anymore, give them freedom. If we dont we are acting as imperialists not a 'democracy.'

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.