Dislike of blacks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Manani K.
    Participant
    Why do the other minorities (i.e. Asians, Hispanics, East Indians) in the United States dislike American blacks?

User Detail :  

Name : Manani K., Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Lien
    Participant
    Asians don't like blacks because blacks don't like Asians. There are lots of black neighborhoods here in Los Angeles where Koreans own most of the convenience stores. Blacks get jealous of this and are violent toward us. During the Los Angeles riots a few years ago, there were many racial attacks against Asians by blacks.

User Detail :  

Name : Lien, Race : Asian, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

G.E. Long
    While I don't condone the violence that occurred in Los Angeles, I do understand the underlying reasoning for it. It's been my observation that when Asian shopkeepers deal with black customers, they do not show them anything resembling courtesy, mutual respect, etc. There are a couple of Korean-owned shops in my neighborhood, and I refuse to give them my (continued) business, as I didn't care for the attitude the two times I visited (making sure they weren't having a bad day during the first visit - benefit of the doubt, and all that). Not speaking when spoken to upon entry, insulting people when they ask questions ('you people so stupid'), snatching items out of your hands if they feel you have held it too long, being followed around the store, having your money snatched out of your hand and your change thrown down on the counter (instead of handed to you), etc. And I don't buy the 'cultural differences' argument - I've stood back and watched non-black customers receive civil treatment in the same shops, from the same shopkeepers. When one group consistently treats another with complete disregard, obviously a mutual dislike/contempt is going to be fostered. I've tried not to paint all Koreans with the same brush, but considering I've yet to encounter one that didn't immediately and automatically treat me with contempt (without knowing me from Adam, as the saying goes), it's difficult.

As far as owning the businesses/convenience stores, there's more an anger factor than jealously. I've seen blacks try to open businesses, only to be given the runaround: having to have considerable licensing, permits and certifications PRIOR to setting up their business, while business people of any other ethicnity are able to acquire their documents WHILE they are setting up. Explain that one!

User Detail :  

Name : G.E. Long, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

T.R.
    Participant
    I must have missed out on the poll that revealed black people are the most hated group in America. If some Asians and Hispanics dislike black people, is that an indictment for their group (or black people) or for those individuals? Just because a person belongs to a minority group does not mean they are immune to racist/prejudiced beliefs. Thus, there is no single 'good' reason for why members of these ethnic groups dislike black people (even if they have had bad experiences with a few individuals who happen to have been black). If we all went around disliking an entire group of people based on the actions of a few, then we'd be a hateful bunch of stupid people.

User Detail :  

Name : T.R., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    to lien the person who responded to the person asking why dont the other racial groups like blacks. miss lien says that black people dont like asians is incorrect. how can you say we dont like asians when blacks and asians mix so infrequently. if blacks get upset ,it is because when asians as a group open businesses in 90% black neighborhoods their children dont play or mix with black children and the opposite happens with regards to asians in 90% white neighborhoods

User Detail :  

Name : George F. C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : black,white,spanish, Religion : nonconformist, Age : 30, City : new york, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Natasha-K
    Participant
    My friend from India said that when he first came here, he got freaked out when a black person he didn't know said hi to him on the street. He said Indians are afraid of black people because of how they are portrayed on tv.

User Detail :  

Name : Natasha-K, City : White Plains, State : NY Country : United States, 
    To answer the original poster's message, I believe that many minorities (especially those who are first-generation or immigrants) have certain preconceived notions about American black people because of the propaganda that has been dissiminated among the different countries that white Americans have came in contact with. When white Americans bring their 'culture' to these countries, they often bring along their stereotypes and bigoted notions. But, not ALL minorities hate black people because that is never true, I must emphasize that.

User Detail :  

Name : Impressive-Instant21380, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Gardena, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 
    In response to Linn's comment, I am a black male and I live in Gardena, a city which is relatively close to the actual city of Los Angeles. I've been inside countless Korean-owned stores and I don't get the same impression that you get. It's silly to generalize and say that ALL blacks hate Koreans because that is not the case, I, for one, do not. During the 1992 L.A. Civil Unrest many black people were upset at the killing of a young innocent black girl in a Korean-owned corner store (she was pulling a bottle of orange juice out of her pocket and the Korean grocer behind the counter assumed it was a gun and shot her at point blank range in the head). Needless to say, many black & Latino people in the community were outraged by this. Emotions flew everywhere and people were outraged. That is why there was such a deep-seeded hatred towards Korean-owned businesses during the '92 'Riots.' Black people felt that they were being treated like animals and viewed as criminals and they were just fed-up at the current state of affairs of their community. Also, I never get the impression that black people are 'jealous' of Koreans who own businesses in THEIR communities. It many has to do with the fact that Koreans are outsiders of the community, their children don't attend any of the communities schools, nor frequent any of the business, or are even seen walking the streets. Many black and Latino people that predominate these communities (particularly inner city Los Angeles) have a subtle disliking for Korean people because of this. They do not live in the community, yet they take our money, and they are afraid of US. This is the mind-state that many black and Latino people have about Koreans who operate stores in their communites. Koreans never step foot in the community otherwise, only to do business. Once their store closes they go back to wherever they came from (whether that be the Valley, the South Bay, Koreatown, West L.A., etc.) but never in the community their store is located in. It's like someone is taking your money yet they don't want to be around you or associate with you. That is seen as disrespectful and unjust to the people who WILLINGLY give these store-owners money and help keep their stores in business primarly because they have no other choice. Fortunately, actions have and are being taken as we speak to quell the tension between blacks and Koreans in inner-city Los Angeles.

User Detail :  

Name : Impressive-Instant21381, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Gardena, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Vanessa24505
    Participant
    I think your statement is very odd. Although you may think blacks don't like asians this is not true. I am a black female who is very fond of asian males. I have no problem with the asian women I cone in contact with either. As far as Koreans working in black neighborhoods....Blacks feel like they are being watched in Asain owned stores and in some cases they are.

User Detail :  

Name : Vanessa24505, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

J.M. Kim
    As an Asian-American adoptee, I also have received less than polite treatment ... from my fellow Koreans! I always assumed it was because they somehow knew I was adopted. I believe there isn't an overall reason for why this happens. For many, it IS a cultural difference, and cities like New York are offering immigrants American assimilation classes to help with this very problem. I teach in an urban high school that is culturally diverse and find it a joy to work with kids of all races and cultures. I hope you don't let a few bad experiences with Korean shop owners taint your view of Asians as a race. That would just propagate the racism that African Americans feel, as well as Latinos, etc. I, too, have experienced bias and racism by blacks, Latinos and whites, but I don't let those bad experiences taint my friendships with people of other races.

User Detail :  

Name : J.M. Kim, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Educator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.