Desire for revenge

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

annonymous
    Participant
    Demosthenes: There have been times when my first response or feeling was anger. I have experience humiliation and frustration, too. Yes, throw in restment; I guess. When I was younger, in my 20's, sometimes I wanted revenge. Prior to my 20's, I had had many encounters including relationships with whites, and these interactions had been positive. I didn't experience discrimination that I could readily identify as such until I was employeed in a corporate environment. Now in my 30's, I have enjoyed even greater relationships with a variety of races and nationalities. And yes, I have encountered less than desireable situations, too. Still, I'd like to think I am wiser, more mature now. I am also a more spiritual person so to categorically want to lash out at group based solely on race or any other abitrary classification goes against my beliefs and values. Does this mean I don't get angry, frustrated, or hurt? No. What it does mean for me today is that I can honestly acknowlege how I feel and then consciously decide how I will respond. In most instances, I've learned to exercise delay, especially if the circumstances dictate that to do otherwise would only complicate my situation. Not a good idea to go off on the boss. Besides, once my emotional upset subsides, I can more rationally decide if the situation was racial. I can weigh whether it is beneficial for me to protest or to walk away. I can elvaluate whether the offender's actions or words hold any real consequence for me. Most times, the answer is no. The person is likely someone I would not care to associate with. Consequently, I often choose to ignore them. No sense in attempting to reprimand a closed mind. Everyone wants to be valued and respected for who they are. I do. I try to exercise that belief in all my interactions.

User Detail :  

Name : annonymous, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Demosthenes
    Participant
    I am doing a research project on prejudice. Most of our information is from one general viewpoint. So I ask people of various backgrounds who wish to answer: If you are a victim of discrimination, does that experience make you resentful or even hateful of the people discriminating against you?

User Detail :  

Name : Demosthenes, Age : 16, City : West Monroe, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Philosopher / Student, 

Jeff
    Participant
    I was kicked out of my apartment in 1991 (when I was in college) because of my homosexuality. In 1992, the city debated adding sexual orientation to the anti-discrimination clauses. I fought hard for it (through TV appearances and interviews) and was thrilled when it passed. A bordering city soon debated the same issue, and I fought for it again (it passed as well). Yes, I resented the way I was treated, but I didn't target the individuals - I targeted the society that fostered those beliefs.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 33, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Software Tester, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Cristina31912
    Participant
    I am very resentful of whites. They think people that struggle with English are dumb and they think their own blue/green eyes are the most gorgeous in the world. They think their English language is the best in the world. I've tried to reason with them and they say I'm full of shit (brown eyes). All of the whites I've encountered are either prejudiced, racist, or just ignorant about other cultures in some way, even if it's a small way. They stereotype and discriminate and don't even realise it. I know it's not right to generalise but it's true!

User Detail :  

Name : Cristina31912, City : Essex, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.