Deaf is better?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Beth
    When I was younger I read several news stories about some deaf parents whose child was also deaf. The child had deafness that could be corrected via an operation. The parents refused because they felt being deaf was 'better'. I have since read that this is a common attitude in the deaf community. Is this true? How did this attitude of a disability being better come about, and how could it be justified? I am not one to say that someone deaf couldn't do anything I can do, but how could having less senses be better?

User Detail :  

Name : Beth, City : anchorage, State : AK Country : United States, 

Meredith
    Participant
    Yes, you are right. It is a common attitude for Deaf people to enjoy being Deaf, have mostly Deaf friends, and Deaf parents probably will want their deaf child to grow up to be Deaf too. Wait! Did you notice I said 'deaf child' and 'Deaf parents' in the last sentence? There's a difference. 'Small-d-deaf' is someone who cannot hear. 'Big-d-Deaf' is someone who is part of the Deaf community, speaks the Deaf language, etc. An excellent book is by Matthew Moore and Linda Levitan, it's called For Hearing People Only. You can probably find it at your local library.

User Detail :  

Name : Meredith, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian Universalist, Age : 19, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : IT Technician, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christy
    Participant
    I understand that you probably dont know alot about Deaf culture so I am not trying to speak down to you. Deaf people feel that their deafness is a part of them... to have their hearing again would make them a different person. Deaf people had to really fight to have american sign language considered a language and to be able to use it at all. There was a time when at all deaf schools, sign language wasn't allowed. They were forced to speak and read lips. Speaking and hearing for them is not natural - so why force it on them? As for the cochlear implant (which I'm pretty sure is what you're talking about), it is a good thing but deaf people really feel that this is another case of the 'hearing' telling them what is right for them but without considering what the deaf person really wants. Most (but not all) want to use ASL. They want to be a part of Deaf culture. Knowing what I do of Deaf culture, I can't say that I blame them.

User Detail :  

Name : Christy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : american, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : starving college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ashley
    Participant
    Medical science views meidcal problems as 'problems' that need to be 'fixed'... That's fine, but when that 'problem' is part of a community, then it can become a bit complicated. Hearing parents don't want the problems, decisions, choices associated with having a deaf child. They turn to the doctors, who say, Well, we have a solution! We can fix this. Problem solved! And hearing parents go for it. Deaf parents understand the culture that they are a part of, and don't want their Deaf child to miss out. Believe me, this is an incredibly rich culture, with a heritage that would surprise you. And I'm proud to be a part of it.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : St. Augustine, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.