Cubicle coiffure?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Tiffany
    Participant
    Why is that in corporate America my hairstyle can be an issue if I choose to wear natural hair, pinups or braids?

User Detail :  

Name : Tiffany, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : new york, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : marketing rep, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Matt
    Participant
    Many corporate workplaces tend to emphasize a certain amount of conformity to standards of appearance and behavior. To many of the higher-ups, such conformity is a sign of professionalism. Corporate America generally expects people to choose an appearance on the job in keeping with their tasks, and grooming and hairstyle are as important to this as the choice of clothing. There are plenty of other examples of hairstyles for other ethnic groups that would be considered unprofessional, too. If a white man showed up for a business negotiation wearing a hockey-player haircut and scragly beard like Joe Dirt, that would create the wrong impression as surely as arriving in an oil-stained set of mechanic's overalls. It's worth noting that some companies carry conformity in the office even further. For example, I once visited a Honda manufacturing plant where all the employees, from the top management to the workers on the assembly line, were wearing identical white uniforms.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Julie
    Participant
    Notice that another respondent equated a black person wearing their hair in its natural state in the workplace to a white man being 'dirty' in the workplace. Why is this? Sadly, if you examine his reply, you will have your answer.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie, Gender : F, Race : Black, Age : 33, City : Woodbridge, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Gov't Contracting, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    Normally I'd verbally rip a guy like him a second A-hole...but I'll let 'Joe Dirt' slide. After all, he's already ripped himself another A-hole...by showing us just HOW big an A-hole he is.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda-P-Outlaw30014, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 42, City : Laurelton, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gina
    Yes, it's sad fact that most non-black American's have no idea what natural female black hair looks like. Many non blacks have little clue what our(like our west african descendents) hair is really like. And no wonder: natural female 'black' hair is rarely shown on TV or in movies. Most 'black' women in hair ads are either mixed race, like Halle B. (therefore with straight(er) hair, or wearing false and/or straightened hair. Black ain't quite beautiful, yet.

User Detail :  

Name : Gina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : black/indian/white, Religion : Atheist, Age : 48, City : Hercules, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : researcher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

AVEN23417
    Participant
    I think you need to read this again and lighten up.

User Detail :  

Name : AVEN23417, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bryant
    Participant
    I don't think that guy was equating someone's natural appearance with being dirty. His point was that in the workplace one must conform to dress requirments of their job.

User Detail :  

Name : Bryant, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : eastern, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Power Plant Operator, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Jen R.
    Participant
    Although I am white (looking) I have unruly curly hair and I spend a great deal of time trying to make it look nice for the workplace. Many of my female black collegues wear their hair in a neat, well kept but natural style and no one seems to care. I can understand that you may feel that relaxing your hair is denying your heritage but I'll let you in on a white girl secret ... we straigten our hair too.

User Detail :  

Name : Jen R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mixed race/Carribean, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    I stopped "conforming" more than 10 years ago when I ditched those horrible relaxers, cut off my relaxed hair and opted to wear it natural. Fast forward to today -- I now wear shoulder-length locs. I decided Corporate America was not in control of my hair; I was. I am a happier black woman because of my decision, and because I no longer suffer from dry, broken, brittle, thinning hair and irritated scalp due to relaxers. Corporate America would do well to back off as respects African Americans and their God given hair; they could find themselves facing some major lawsuits, due to racial discrimination.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.