Columbine school shooting

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Dan31649
    Participant
    Imagine getting your pants torn off, jacket stolen and head stuffed in a school toilet that hasn't been flushed for weeks by a bunch of 240-pound linebacker goons - all because you're a guy who wears eyeliner and lip gloss (not to mention a green mohawk and monkey boots). Usually these incidents aren't quite as extreme, but it happens all the time. There is a pecking order in virtually every high school that is strictly enforced and imposed upon all, willing or unwilling. Those who are popular, good-looking, athletic, rich, etc. are on top. Those who are average (or who are actually there to learn) are stuck in the limbo of the middle. Those who are different ('freaks,' 'geeks,' 'weirdos,' nerds, goths, punks, foreigners, poor/dirty, etc.) are on the bottom. Those on top have license to screw with those on the bottom, and it's open season on anyone who doesn't fit the description of 'All-American Youth.' Such an environment can foster extreme resentment and hatred, as you can imagine. Frankly, the motives behind the Columbine massacre did not shock or surprise me; of course, the carnage was apalling. No amount of harassment, abuse and degradation can warrant retaliation with firearms against those who cannot defend against them (especially randomly shooting people who didn't even have anything to do with them). Essentially, if the pipe dream of 'can't we all get along?' came true in U.S. high schools, and differences were tolerated and respected - or at least ignored - we would never hear of another school shooting of this nature again.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan31649, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 22, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dereck
    Participant
    I think a lot of people who were picked on in school and at work have thought about getting revenge on bullies. It is pretty normal. I am glad to think that a lot of people have the better sense than to commit a crime to get back at someone. I think it is a real shame that the media and other people do not emphasize that the killers were also 'victims.' Injuries in the locker room from being beaten up do not show up on the news very often, or at all. Most people think of it as 'just learning to get along with others.' I think that attitude is total crap.

I don't agree with the way those students have settled their problems, especially because other students who may have not been involved were hurt or killed, but I think their message of 'be careful of who you step on' is legitimate, and if there are any bullies out there, I think you should be watching your back. Just because you are the stronger one now, that may only be a temporary situation. I know I sound angry, but I don't think a lot of people know how angry a person can become when they are just trying to be themselves, not hurting others, but society won't let them. Columbine was an example of this type of attitude or belief that 'if you don't share our same values, then you are not welcome.' Again,let me say that 'rules' of a society do change, and so does the power structure.

Let me emphasize to people who might think shooting someone, like was done at Columbine, has any justification: It doesn't. Also, there is life outside of high school. High school lasts for three or four years, and it is interesting to see how many of the 'losers' become extremely successful people, and how many 'beautiful people and jocks' become our employees. Like the joke says, 'What do you call a nerd in 15 years? Boss.'

User Detail :  

Name : Dereck, Gender : M, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

A.N.
    Participant
    I agree with most of the attitudes expressed above. The inability to accept differences not only in high school but in life is a huge factor in many situations. This lack of respect leads to things like homophobia, racism and anti-Semitism. Columbine was terrible. I felt for those killed and their families, but at the same time, I felt for the killers and their families. There is only a certain amount of torture and humiliation a person can experience before that rage explodes, many times in the form of violence. Until America accepts the fact that this is a legitimate problem and stops telling their children they're one of the gifted ones, such problems will continue. Celebrate diversity.

User Detail :  

Name : A.N., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

ratheesh
    i am a student

User Detail :  

Name : ratheesh, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Asian, Religion : Hindu, Age : 25, City : bangalore, State : IN Country : India, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.