Columbine police: What happened?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Erik J.
    Participant
    This is for any law-enforcement folks. I guess it does sound like a slanted question, but I keep wondering: Why did all those SWAT police - with their helmets, flak vests, tear gas and rifles - seal off the school and wait outside for three hours while victims lay bleeding to death and those two kids wandered around shooting whoever they saw? What were police, and especially SWAT teams, good for when their commanders kept them safely out of danger, even though they knew via cell phones that people were being butchered inside the school?

I realize individual police officers were under orders not to act, but it seems like criminal incompetence and cowardice on the part of their superiors. Yes, there turned out to be (dud) bombs inside, but the police apparently didn't know that until later. I would really appreciate any comments from law enforcement officers as to the way that situation was handled.

User Detail :  

Name : Erik J., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Shawn
    Participant
    The abbreviated answer to your question is that they did not have enough information. The school resource deputy did exchange fire with the gunmen, but was out-gunned. When the tactical units arrived, they simply didn't have enough information to make an entry. For them to have made an entry, they would have had to know (at a minimum,) 1) The number and detailed descriptions of the suspects, 2) The weapons involved, 3) The location of the suspects, 4) The number and location of any hostages, and 5) A detailed layout of the building. Most police tactical units simply are not trained to deal with this kind of crisis. They are trained primarily for raids and hostage situations where time is on their side. Their seemingly slow response shouldn't be viewed as cowardice. A quicker response into an unknown situation may have resulted in even more casualties. Consider a tactical officer walking into an unknown situation where the suspect(s) looks just like their hostages. If an innocent bystander panicked and made a sudden move, he might end up the victim of "friendly fire." I think the officers handled an unprecedented and unthinkable situation in a very professional manner, and in the best way possible, given the circumstances.

User Detail :  

Name : Shawn, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 24, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Aviation/Military Police, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Anonymous23732
    Participant
    I don't think the SWAT teams had enough information to just go barging into Columbine High School. They didn't know where there were bombs planted or where people were very well. I don't know much about this matter, but I think the SWAT teams were right to wait until they had more information and therefore possibly save their lives from a bomb they didn't know was planted when they first got there.

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous23732, Gender : F, City : A Great City, State : VA Country : United States, 

Judd
    Participant
    During my EMT certification, I too was surprised to learn the safety priorities in the field: The first priority is yourself, second the bystanders and third the victims. It sounds backwards, but it makes sense: If you go rushing in and get hurt, the very unit designed to help just becomes more casualties. I realize this is different from SWAT operations, but the basic principle applies: They need so much information before any action is to be made. Believe me, I bet they were just as frustrated that they could not end the situation quickly and safely.

User Detail :  

Name : Judd, Gender : M, City : Bend, State : OR Country : United States, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.