Christians and sex

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Laurie
    Participant
    I am not Christian, but if I am correct, in the Christian Bible, Jesus talks a lot about the poor, and love, and forgiveness. However, he seems to talk very little about sex. Why then are some Christians so focused on no premarital sex as a main indication of Christian behavior?

User Detail :  

Name : Laurie, Gender : Female, Age : 56, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    The 'Christians' who came to this country from England were obsessed with controlling the sexuality of women, and have stayed that way ever since.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bella28864
    Participant
    It's not just Christians, most religions require sexual abstinence for the unmarried. The reason is that sex outside of marriage causes a multitude of problems including millions of single mothers struggling to raise children whose fathers have run off, abortions, adoptions, diseases, mental depression from promiscuity . All of this is stuff that churches won't have to deal with if people wait. That's why they focus on it so much. It's a preventive requirement that saves a lot of hassle.

User Detail :  

Name : Bella28864, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Caribbean, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Admin Assistant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

J-Bartholoma28703
    Participant
    Perhaps it is because premarrital sex is percieved as being rampant in this day and age. Also, some Christians are focused upon making abortions illegal, confusing the public about the definition of a scientific theory along with propogating creationism, er, I mean, 'intelligent design' and plenty of other things. Personally, I think that christians should live their lives how they want and let everyone else live theirs as they want.

User Detail :  

Name : J-Bartholoma28703, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 16, City : Bloomfield Hills, State : MI Country : United States, 

Erika
    Participant
    I have pondered this myself, along with many other 'flaws' in Christian beliefs. I think that because of many of their other beliefs, they have come to the conclusion that its just common sense. And this common sense has solidified into accepted belief, which has in turn become subconscious law. I'm sorry I don't have a solid answer for you, but that's the conclusion I've come to.

User Detail :  

Name : Erika, Gender : F, Religion : Atheist, Age : 15, City : allyn, State : WA Country : United States, 

Arnold-U28899
    Participant
    The Bible teaches that sexual union with someone means being united with them, into one body. 1 Cor 6:16 Having sex is taken much more seriously than having a one night stand. The Bible teaches that sex is great (within marriage) in the context of a man and a woman in a committed relationship. But why is it so much a focus? My opinion is that Balaam could not curse the Israelites. Numbers 22. So he did the next thing he knew to bring the people down. He broke down their self-control by seducing them with foreign women. Unwin is the name of an author who wrote a thesis in the 1920s entitled Sex and Culture. In it, he examined human cultures around the world and through time. He uncovered a principle that cultures which respect the powerful nature of sex rise as a nation, do well economically and in every other way. Promiscuous cultures were those that fell. Some countries have a history 2000 years old (China) while others have disappeared out of the history books.

User Detail :  

Name : Arnold-U28899, Gender : M, Religion : Christian, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.