Christians and discrimination

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Lucy22457
    Participant
    Although Christians aren't denied service, employment or housing because of their faith, and are protected under the anti-discrimination laws just like everyone else, there is a growing segment of Christians who feel as if they are being discriminated against. This is because even though the majority of Americans are Christian, our country is finally recognizing that not everyone is a Christian and that the beliefs of non-Christians are just as valid and deserving of respect as Christian beliefs. This is a big departure from just a few decades ago, when Christian prayers were said aloud in public schools every day along with the Pledge of Allegiance.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22457, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

J.D.
    While shopping in an electronics store recently, I pointed out a television show with evangelist Benny Hinn (not to be confused with Benny Hill) and said to my friend, 'Shouldn't he get that combover (hairstyle) faith-healed?' Hearing this upset a nearby shopper so much that she launched into a tirade about Christians being discriminated against and how they were fighting back. I really can't see anywhere that Christians would be denied service, employment or anything else because of their faith. Can someone point out valid discrimination against Christians, or is this woman just a nut?

User Detail :  

Name : J.D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : kinda' my own mix of philosophies and beliefs, Age : 32, City : Arlington, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : auto technician, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mel W.
    Participant
    As far as mainstream discrimination goes, most Christians have an easier time actually getting jobs than other groups, in my opinion. It's what happens after we get that job that counts as discrimination. I do think that Christians are discriminated against a lot by individuals. Many people who aren't Christians are just as angry and defensive towards Christians as Christians oftentimes are towards them. I personally have been spit upon by a pagan who had no problems with me until he found out my faith. Also, since it's considered much more favorable now to do things contrary to what is seen as traditional, many people won't even give Christians a decent chance to express opinions, assuming that all that Christians are is traditional/stodgy/hateful/insert disparaging adjective of choice.

User Detail :  

Name : Mel W., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Gunnison, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rick29942
    Participant
    Since you probably would have made a humorous comment on Hinn's comb-over even if he were, say, Jewish and selling cars on TV, the woman's claim of 'discrimination' does not seem to apply here. I am sure there are cases of discrimination against Christians, but probably not to a very serious degree. Nowadays, everyone wants to be a victim, and that woman is just jumping on the bandwagon. Some people consider it discrimination when you don't allow them to force their views down your throat.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29942, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jason
    Participant
    Discrimination can be much more subtle than being denied a job, though I'm sure it happens for all 'protected classes' of people. I don't think that's what she was referring to, though. There are more than a few people out there who look down upon Christians and treat us as a group with disdain. Basically, I think it depends upon your definition of discrimination. I rarely feel that my beliefs will affect my job or housing, but I do think it often surprises people when I reveal my faith. Many are surprised because I've never tried to 'convert' them, but for me the loudest voice is that which isn't spoken. I try to live a good life and hope others see that I have something in my life they don't. Some are surprised for a different reason: they feel that faith (of any kind, really) is a 'crutch' or something for the uneducated masses. I'd call that sort of attitude a subtle form of discrimination... just as assuming someone who's Jewish is money-grubbing (I don't subscribe to that theory, it's just a convenient example). Most of all, our government is changing the way they look at church and state, and has been for a long time. I seriously doubt our currency would include the words 'In God We Trust' if the decision was to be made today instead of 200+ years ago. So the answer to your question is that yes, I believe EVERY group is discriminated against to some degree. I believe that it's increasing in our society towards Christians particularly, and improving on some fronts as well. Am I going to start a tirade in a mall about it? No. Jason

User Detail :  

Name : Jason, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Medford, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa22820
    Participant
    I think many so-called Christians feel threatened because of something called Separation of Church and State. I don't see where your remark was offensive or discriminatory. Hell, it was actually quite funny.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22820, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, City : Gaithersburg, State : MD Country : United States, 

Steve27689
    Participant
    Being Christian in America has got to be the single most institutionally favored status ever invented by mankind. A Christian thinking they are prejudiced against in American is laugh out loud funny. The women is a nut.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27689, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 45, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Corporate Cubicle Kind of Guy, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Ronald-V
    Participant
    People in North America do not usually become martyrs for their faith on home soil. The Asian countries cite many examples of Christians being put to death. But when Christian believers speak out, there will be heat. It is not reasonable to expect no resistance when society in general has become more tolerant of evil, and intolerant of good. Premarital sexual behavior, abortion, drugs and alcohol, gambling all are hot topics.

User Detail :  

Name : Ronald-V, Gender : M, Religion : Christian, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Steve
    Participant
    I'm a Christian and feel completely free enough to be able to say that Benny Hinn has a very bad hair-do. I think it looks like some small animal has crawled onto his head and died. Bless him! Bless all the people with bad hair-do's! It's just as well that good hair is not a pre-requisite for entrance into God's kingdom; otherwise only me and a few others would make it. :¬)

User Detail :  

Name : Steve, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : ingrown toe nail, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Network Design Engineer, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Robert B.
    For the most part, I don't think Christians are discriminated against in the US. There are some exceptions, though. One example would be the John Ashcroft nomination hearing. Let me say that I do not agree with his fundamentalist views or many of his political views. However, one of the main arguments used against his nomination was that he was a 'fundamentalist christian' and therefore somehow was unfit to hold public office. In my opinion, saying that someone's religious views make them unfit for any office is the definition of discrimination. Also, many people associate people like Benny Hinn, who is clearly a scam artist trying to make money, with the majority of Christians who have very different beliefs from him. So from that point of view, there is some basic ignorance on the part of some people who associate the word 'Christian' with fundamentalism or the religious right, when in fact they are very separate. Finally, in a number of countries, such as China and Sudan, Christians are routinely executed or imprisoned for their faith, and this would seem to me to be a clear example of discrimination.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 26, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Med Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie
    Participant
    The woman obviously reacted emotionally and not rationally. But I think she may have been responding, however inappropriately, to the attitude many people display that it is OK to make remarks or negative generalizations about Christians that they would never make about Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. This has probably made her oversensitive. Your joke was funny and not inappropiate, in my opinion, and you did no wrong and she should lighten up. But it is also true that people need to respect all religions. All religions, in their highest aspect, are one; it is just people's misunderstanding that make them seem separate.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 50+, City : Any city, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christina32065
    Participant
    That woman was full of it, and a lot of the anger is coming from separation of church and state, which I am ok with, but when you can't have a christmas tree in a high school where over 90% of its students are christians just because 2 people didnt want one(something that did happen at my high school), I can understand why they might feel that way.

User Detail :  

Name : Christina32065, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Long Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.