Chinese Firedrill?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Becky-T
    Participant
    What is a 'Chinese Firedrill' and where did that expression come from? I hear that expression humorously applied to any confused or chaotic activity involving a bunch of people, but have no idea how that could relate to Chinese people OR a firedrill.
    Original Code R624. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Becky-T, Gender : F, Age : 51, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, 

Roger T.
    The term 'fire drill' for the game you describe is one of those that gets used somewhat perjoratively in association with a particular group or race, depending on which group in which location is using it. For example, as a teenager I first heard it described as a Mexican Fire Drill, but when I worked in northern British Columbia it was known as an Indian Fire Drill. Later, in urban Canada, I heard of it as a Newfie Fire Drill and even as a Japanese Fire Drill.

I find it somewhat humorous, as well as revealing of their prejudices, that people adapt jokes and such expressions as these to whichever people or group or race they wish to belittle. Here in Canada, living and working in different areas, I have heard the same joke told as a Polish joke, a French (Quebecker) joke, a Newfie (Newfoundland) jok and an Indian joke.

User Detail :  

Name : Roger T., Gender : M, City : Victoria, British Columbia, State : NA Country : Canada, 

names mean nothing
    Participant
    I think it's a reference to a racist joke. China DOES have a lot of people and if you try to imagine if all of China had a firedrill at once, it would be pretty chaotic (outside in the streets) So that is likely what that is.

User Detail :  

Name : names mean nothing, Gender : F, Age : 19, City : smalltown, ON, State : CA Country : Canada, Education level : High School Diploma, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.