Chew on this “New Addiction”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Alma
    Participant
    I am researching the American addiction to chewing gum and am astounded by the similarities to drug addiction. I was taught that gum chewing at work was unprofessional and unladylike, yet I know several people who cannot function at work without gum in their mouths that they are constantly popping and cracking. I recently watched two well-paid telemarketers lose their jobs due to their refusal to not chew gum while serving customers on the phone. I also watched a young lady walk into a job interview chewing gum and then wonder why she didn't get the job. Several teachers tell me this is one of the primary problems they have in classrooms. The anger and defiance attached to this behavior leads me to believe it's an addiction, not a habit. Can anyone explain this?

User Detail :  

Name : Alma, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : contract employee, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Hate-the-Poppers
    Participant
    I work in an office of a large company and am surrounded by black women who constantly pop their gum while chewing. I think this is a 'black' thing - the popping and cracking -because I know white people who can chew gum quietly and not pop. To me, this is just like eating with your mouth open, and it digusts me. I cannot find any way to express my disgust without causing a problem at work; therefore, I must put up with it daily.

User Detail :  

Name : Hate-the-Poppers, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Robin29585
    Participant
    I've noticed that phenomena as well, and it does seem that some habitual gum chewers cannot function without gum. I have known some gum chewers who went through several big packs of gum a day, just as a chain smoker would with cigarettes. Being deprived of gum would cause these individuals the same anxiety and discomfort that smokers seem to have when deprived of cigarettes. Further, it seems that there is a conflict between what is considered acceptable gum-chewing behavior and what is considered acceptable behavior for other activities. For example, very few people would sit at the dinner table and chew with their mouth open, chomping loudly, rolling the food around in their mouths for all to see. To show someone the chewed food in your mouth is considered at best juvenile and at worst, seriously distasteful, but it is quite common to see people blowing and popping bubbles, cracking and smacking their gum and chomping away with their mouths wide open. If asked to please keep their gum quiet and chew with the mouths closed, gum chewers will often look at you like you have three heads and respond in a passive-agressive fashion of chewing louder and cracking their gum more often. I have been told that rapid repetitive movements such as gum chewing have a calming effect, as they cause small amounts of serotonin to be released in the brain. If this is true, perhaps, gum chewing can be seen as an addiction for some because they become hooked on the drugging effect their own serotonin has on them.

User Detail :  

Name : Robin29585, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : researcher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

LT
    Participant
    Oh, come on -- chewing gum obnoxiously must be a 'black thing?' I don't think that's the kind of reasoned conclusion this discussion board is supposed to engender.

User Detail :  

Name : LT, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

T.R.
    Participant
    I can assure you that gum-popping is a rude thing, not a 'black' thing. I know plenty of black people who would agree with you that popping gum is impolite at best, disgusting at worse. And I have been around white people who have popped their gum before. I know you say that all the poppers you know are black, but try not to generalize this trait as something only black people do. Also, try to hate the popping, not the poppers. Chances are they aren't aware of their popping or the irritation it causes you.

User Detail :  

Name : T.R., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Steve
    Participant
    To the woman who thinks this is a 'black' thing: that's pure BS. I'm a black man who's seen just as many white women who are noisy with their gum. If anything, it's a 'woman' thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 28, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Michael
    Participant
    Black guy here, and I must agree with 'Hate the Poppers.' For as long as I can remember, I've noticed that many--please note, not all--black women, particularly younger ones, tend to pop their gum while chewing; not only do they pop their gum to the blatant disregard to those around them, but they seem to do so quite unashamedly and proudly, as if they do so with a chip on their shoulders, just begging for someone to ask them to stop. I've also noticed that this very irritating behavior is exhibited by those women of lower education and job skills. Any of you black women poppers care to explain--and educate the rest of us nondefensively?

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 36, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : U.S. Government, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D. Shelton
    I have seen and heard many people of the Caucasian persuasion doing the same thing. I think it's just you are closed-minded to things that occur with people in your own race and look for things to complain about in others.

User Detail :  

Name : D. Shelton, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    I am wondering if gum chewing is more an American habit then in other countries. Being well traveled I never really cAme across the problem until I moved here to the USA. I am a college student and find gum chewing out of control at my college to the extent that I have had college professors chew gum while teaching class. I find gum chewing a distraction and disgusting. I have had to move more then once from a gum chewer during class. What happened to manners. I come from Australia where gum chewing isn't popular. Is this why I find it so disgusting? I was taught to chew with my mouth closed as a curtesy to others. To see someone chewing and popping gum with their mouth open, is as bad as them spitting. I am frequently having to remove gum from my shoes and my car mats. Gum chewers please give a thought to others. If you need to chew gum please try to do it with your mouth closed, stop popping during class and try to dump your disgusting gum in the trash not on the ground for others to have to dispose of it. My husband is a high school teacher and his carpet in his classroom has over 200 gum marks on the floor. The concrete around his school is just covered in gum. GUM CHEWING IS DISGUSTING!

User Detail :  

Name : Chloe Miller, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40+, City : Central California, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Concerned-citizen
    Participant
    Becauuse their waiting for the toothpick dispensers to be refilled. This is no joke my friend, if it wasn't for the disgusting habits of african americans and white trash, the entire twizzle stick buisness would be turned on end. Sincerely, pissed off in Jersey P.S. Why do Black people shout when they talk???

User Detail :  

Name : Concerned-citizen, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 29, City : Long Branch, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    I am an Australian living in California and attending college. I traveled throughout Asia and the United States on business for 13 years or so and found gum-popping far more prevalent in the United States. I think it depends on your upbringing. I was taught that it was rude to chew with your mouth open. This included chewing gum. I now have to sit in class and watch or listen to constant gum-popping and find it very offensive. It is like someone spitting near you. I find it a turn-off if I meet someone who is talking to me with a gaping mouth popping gum. I tend to categorize them as ill-bred. I try to get past it, but can't. The worst is when it's your college professor chewing gum during a lesson! Arrrrrrgh!

User Detail :  

Name : Chloe Miller, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 40+, City : Central California, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Monique
    Participant
    I am black and I can say that I do not chew gum loudly. Those women you work with you are just ignorant. And I can say that I have known some white women who do the same. But I remember that people come from different backgrounds and are raised differently.

User Detail :  

Name : Monique, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Accounting, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Peter
    Participant
    I dont know what stereotypical comany you work for, but the whole gum cracking thing isnt a 'black thing.' I know many rude and annoying white people and hispanics who do that too. Im sorry if there are black women who pop gum, but dont attach the act to a whole race. Thats whats wrong with many whites and other races today and you just contribute to such ignorance with stupid associations

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

lilly
    Participant
    poping gum has not thing to do with race!!!!i am around alot of diffenent races and just as many white girls pop their gum as black girls...what about the dumb blonde that pops her gum!

User Detail :  

Name : lilly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 18, City : middletown, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : student./server, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

nicky
    Participant
    I am addicted to chewing gum expecially when i'm on edge or upset. it sometimes drives me crazy if i don't have any and it's all i can think about. when i'm stressed out it's the best way for me to stay calm and i guess thats why my addiction started cause now i crave it when i'm not.

User Detail :  

Name : nicky, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 18, City : Red Creek, State : NY Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.