Cheating on tests

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Phillip-J
    Participant
    In a recent news article, the Commissioner of Education in New York stated that cheating on standardized tests was OK and to be expected because the standards were being raised. I am wondering if there are others who find this view as startling as I did. Also, is this what we can expect from our educators in the future, that cheating is better than personal achievement?

User Detail :  

Name : Phillip-J, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 63, City : Port St. Joe, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Retired - data processing, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

John B.
    Participant
    I hadn't seen that comment in the original quote, and so have nothing to say about it directly. But as a college professor who has sometimes been given a 'puff' class to 'tighten it up' - i.e. been put in charge of raising standards - I certainly know that when you raise the standards, more people try to cheat, at least while the process of raising is going on. It takes a while to shake out all the common ways of cheating, too; students are often more ingenious about trying to avoid the work than they would have to be to just do it, and I learn (and have to devise ways to shut off) a couple new tricks every term. So my guess is that New York CAN expect cheating to increase, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily to be approved of; just that it's expectable. When the price of used car parts goes up, we can expect more cars to be stolen; if the police chief says that, it's not necessarily because the police chief approves of car theft.

User Detail :  

Name : John B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 42, City : Rural area, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : College professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Pete S.
    Participant
    We're pretty close to the same age, and yes, I also find it not only disturbing, but a sad commentary on the state of our education system. For starters, this commissioner needs to have his butt kicked - all the way out into the street - for making such a stupid and irresponsible statement. Education cannot and will not improve as long as brain-dead morons such as this commissioner are around condoning cheating.

User Detail :  

Name : Pete S., Gender : M, Age : 51, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Andrew
    Participant
    That commissioner was fired, and that should be a comment on the acceptability of his views, even in New York, where the commissioner is appointed more to serve the mayor's political needs than the needs of students or parents.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

S29528
    Participant
    Not having read the article you refer to, and assuming you are correctly relating the context, I agree this is startling. While the old adage, 'cheaters never prosper' may not be true, it is true, however, that cheating is a self-degrading activity. Also, in terms of standardized testing, it is pointless to cheat, because who gives a flying ferret what the scores are? (I know, I know, some people think these are valid, and I suppose they are entitled to that opinion, blah, blah...) If cheating is so common on these tests, perhaps we should evaluate the purpose of them.

User Detail :  

Name : S29528, City : Marquette, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.