Cell-Phone addiction

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Alma
    Participant
    I have a co-worker who cannot get off his cell phone. He's been counseled twice by management but still constantly talks on it while working. He goes to great lengths to hide his conversations. What is his problem?

User Detail :  

Name : Alma, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : contract employee, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Wayne24409
    Participant
    I'm not a doctor, but my sister is one. Maybe it really is obsessive-compulsive disorder. But I didn't ask her before posting this. It could be something much more mundane, like just being an a**hole.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne24409, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 43, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Taz27456
    Participant
    He's too damn popular. Or he's selling drugs. Maybe he just talks to himself a lot, and holds a cell phone to his ear so people don't think he's mentally disturbed. He's not that 'Can you hear me now?' guy is he?

User Detail :  

Name : Taz27456, Gender : M, Age : 33, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

John29310
    Participant
    I assume that the individual is either disrupting the workplace or not getting his job done to the satisfaction of his peers and his management. If not, the problem is not his, it may be yours. If what I said is true then his problem is that his employers and his peers let him do it. If the people around him are bothered by the chatter, they should let him know and, if he doesn't listen, pass the complaint up the chain. And if the managers have 'counseled' him a second time without putting a penalty in place for a work-based problem like the two described at the head of this message, then they should be taken back to their offices and made to read a guide on workplace policy and employee discipline.

User Detail :  

Name : John29310, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 54, City : Waterford, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : EE, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

john
    Participant
    unless he is a telemarketer.tell him to turn it off!! or get fired!

User Detail :  

Name : john, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Vancouver, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa
    He's a moron that won't take 'no' for an answer!

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Blake
    I can't believe I'm reading this question! In this day and age where personal responsibility seems to have disappeared, where almost any behavior no matter how inconsequential violates someone else to some tiny little degree, now here you come because a co-worker is on the phone too much. My question is what is YOUR problem? If his cell phone use is causing you to work harder, OK. Are you his supervisor and lack the ability to curb his 'bad habit'? If his cell phone use has no demonstrable effect on you and your work, you will find his problem the next time you look in the mirror!

User Detail :  

Name : Blake, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 48, City : Fayetteville, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

annie23907
    Participant
    I think that folks who constantly talk on the cell phone have a need to feel important. They are saying 'Look at me- someone wants to speak to me!' Actually it is quite sad. My company has a policy that states that there is no cell phone use while in the building- that includes staff and clients and this seems to work quite well.

User Detail :  

Name : annie23907, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Charlie
    I am truly intested in why you would care? It seems as if management is addressing the issue. Do you think you are being treated unfairly in some way? If not, then this really seems to be an issue best left to management and Mr. Cell Phone. It doesn't seem to concern you

User Detail :  

Name : Charlie, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 54, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : Argentina, Occupation : Government, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

missletile20501
    Participant
    You are much too interested in your co-worker's business. If it bothers you say something to him. If not...ignore it.

User Detail :  

Name : missletile20501, City : grand rapids, State : MI Country : United States, 

mtm
    Participant
    His problem is that he works for the government. In other words, he knows that it isn't easy for management to fire him over it and, obviously, the management counseling is an inconvenience worth tolerating to persue his personal calls. One thing that may help is commenting on his conversations so he knows that you're familiar with his personal business. This may not completely end his conversations but may at least get him out of your area. Otherwise, if he doesn't leave the area, try calling his business line repeatedly. If your office has caller I.D., you can always go to a conference room or general area.

User Detail :  

Name : mtm, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 44, City : northville, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : geek, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Joe
    Participant
    Do something, anything, everyday for 30 consecutive days, this creates a neuron connection (habit) inside of your brain. Whether it be 'non-addictive' drugs, or something like talking on a cell phone, after a while you try to get on with your life without it.....Even if it was something small, or to most people, something considered 'petty,' one can't help but to get this really eerie feeling, like an old friend is missing.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : I.T., Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Nick Robichaud
    Participant
    This is something I encountered often while in highschool in the early millenium. People who are glued to their cell phones. This is a trend that should have been expected. The more technological means we have for communication. Take early american culture, the women would get together and attend quilting bees(or the like), and they would use this time to gossip about whatever was going on in the town. While the men would do the same at the local pub. These activities were time consuming and were not every day events. But the advent of the telephone allowed people to talk more frequently. The only disadvantage to the telephone was that both parties must be in a certain place (near their respective phones) for the phone conversation to function. Cell phones allieviate this proble, if they are always on your person, then you can call or be called at any point. I'm not saying cell phones are only used for gossip, they can be used for many things. But no matter what they are used for, they become a much more accesable method of communication.

User Detail :  

Name : Nick Robichaud, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Riverview, NB, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : University Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.