Catholic-Jewish intermarriage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Don E.
    Participant
    Can a Catholic get a dispensation from the Church to marry a Jew?

User Detail :  

Name : Don E., Gender : M, Age : 49, City : Potomac, State : MD Country : United States, 

John29330
    Participant
    Yes, a Catholic can receive such a dispensation. It must come from the bishop of that person's diocese. The Jewish partner must make a promise that they will not interfere with the practice of your religion, and must also promise that any children who result from your marriage will be raised Catholic.

User Detail :  

Name : John29330, Gender : M, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Astorian
    Participant
    The simple answer is yes. A Catholic can marry a member of another faith. There are usually a few conditions. If a Catholic wants to marry a Jew (or Protestant, or Hindu, whatever) in a Catholic church, the couple will have to confer with the Catholic's pastor. During an interview, the Catholic will generally be asked if he/she intends to do everything possible to raise any future children in the Catholic faith. If the answer is 'yes,' there usually won't be any difficulty in getting authorization for a valid, sacramental, Catholic wedding.

User Detail :  

Name : Astorian, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

JRT
    Participant
    This Catholic husband has been happily married to his Jewish wife more than 20 years. I think we learn a lot from each other. We were married in a non-sectarian college chapel by a campus priest. We could not find a rabbi willing to officiate. During our pre-Cana lessons, we were segregated to the inter-faith group, but thought we had a pretty good chance to make it. We have always been respectful and supportive of each other's faiths. Our only common family holiday is Thanksgiving. There are no arguments over where we last spent Shabbos, Christmas, Passover Seder, Easter, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : JRT, City : Voorhees, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Hu
    Assuming you do what Astorian said, you can't be married during a mass because the non-Catholic spouse can't join in the communion. My wife is non-Catholic, and we were married in the church, not during a mass, and I received Holy Communion. I had to sign a promise saying I'll raise all our kids in the Catholic faith, and my wife had to sign a letter saying she is aware I signed such an agreement. From my experience, you two better attend the pre-Cana. It prepares you to face the day-to-day challenges.

User Detail :  

Name : Hu, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 35, City : n/a, State : NA Country : Singapore, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lindsey
    Participant
    My father is Jewish and my dad is Catholic. When my dad married my mom he had to sign papers saying that he would allow my mother to raise my sister, brother, and me up to be Catholic. He had to go to classes, because they were being married in a Catholic church. Once he showed that he understood the Catholic religion and that he supported my mothers decision to raise us Catholic, then the priest allowed it.

User Detail :  

Name : Lindsey, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.