Can’t stand rap and hip-hop

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Alphonzo
    Participant
    I enjoy hip hop very much, and that's why I became a DJ. When I was younger, I used to listen to hip hop for the beats, and not necessarily the lyrics, because I didn't understand what was being said. But after a while, you begin to mature and listen to the music for more than just what is being said but how they are relaying the message. Being in my mid-20s, I can see how someone wouldn't want to listen to hip hop, because of what the radio and video saturate the consumer with - 20-inch rims on trucks, $200,000 cars, furs, $50,000 watches, etc. All those material things being shown on videos and rapped about in songs is supposed to be what you can achieve if you work hard at what you do. Instead, the label, along with the promotion staff, push the idea of 'you need to have this' in order to boost the sales of artists' albums, and sell their songs.

It's the radio tunes that you are referring to that are lacking the melody and beauty you have mentioned. I can also see how you can see how it lacks those two things, because all it is now is recycled hits from the '80s, manipulated to refresh the listener where the original song came from, and to make it catchy. But in the world of hip hop, there is such a thing as a sample, which is where a section of the record is used, then arranged and reworked, or is repeated, and then extra drum kicks and basslines are added, to create a new beat, so as not to make it sound just like the original song. Listen to Bobby Caldwell's 'Open Your Eyes' and then listen to Common's 'The Light.' The Bobby Caldwell song had a section sampled, then was reworked to make what the Common song sounds like.

Being a DJ, I listen to more than just hip hop, because all the beats originated from old soul from the '60's and '70s, and learning the artists from whom these artists sample gives you a greater appreciation for where the music comes from.

Take this into consideration: there are two types of people in hip hop - the rappers and the emcees. The emcees are the ones who don't need a gimmick to sell their albums, but just the skill of their vocabulary to move the crowd. Rappers are the ones who need a gimmick to sell their image and music.

User Detail :  

Name : Alphonzo, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 25, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : DJ, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Carolyn32364
    Participant
    I agree that most hip/hop and rap music is not what it used to be. When rap music first came about, it was about having fun, and there was no cursing in the music. Now it's about sex, money and women. I can't stand rap music now. Its not original. That also goes for other types of music, also.

User Detail :  

Name : Carolyn32364, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/White/American Indian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 27, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jesse30819
    Participant
    I enjoy listening to Rap and Hip-Hop because some of it is humorous, some has a good beat that gets your attention, or the words somehow relate to what I feel, about my past, or my goals for the future. I like all types of music, trom twangy country to classical to heavy metal and so on. It depends on my mood, of course.

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse30819, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Clerk, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Eric25205
    Participant
    Rap music is no different than classical music, if you ever studied classical music, but classical music's political intent is no longer relevant today. Classical music was very controversial when it was written. It's intent was to stir nationalistic feelings in a given ethnic group during the rise of nationalism in Europe. Most of these ethnic groups have their own country in today's Europe, so the political meaning is obsolete now. I listen to a variety of music depending on mood. Rap and hip-hop is great music to dance to, so I do listen to it often.

User Detail :  

Name : Eric25205, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Technology, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    You know you're an adult when you can't get how kids could listen to the music they do.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 25, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, 

Jim-C30688
    Participant
    Why does rap music have to defend itself to people who don't like it? I don't care for Latin music, rock or county, but I'm not saying the people who like it are insane or stupid for enjoying that type of music. If you don't like rap or don't undersand it, change the channel - it was never meant for you.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim-C30688, Gender : M, City : Laurel, State : MD Country : United States, 

Cheryl32338
    Participant
    I agree that the rap music out now just sucks period. There is nothing to this music. Its all garbage. Back in the day rap music had some sort of meaning to it but now, I don't know what happened. Its the younger generation thats coming up into it. They listen to anything. They want to be rough and all that. But thats not what its all about. I grew up listening to rap music. The music was a hell of alot better back then, than what it is now. No originality. Its just some B.S.

User Detail :  

Name : Cheryl32338, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kellee
    What you are probobly listening to are pop artists trying to be rappers/hip hop artists who are catering to the 'majority'. The reason hip hop sounds different today as compared to before like Public Enemy, KRS ONE ect... is because these artists did not cater to the 'majority' they simply told the stories and vocalized the concerns of what was happening in their communities one of which wasn't 'flossin'. Seriously,if you think about it, people who have nothing to rap about except 'ice' couldn't have too many problems. The direction of some has shifted. What most want to hear is what gets played. This country thrives on what sales,not necessarily what's the best quality. To find the 'quality', you have to be open enough to take the time to look for it. Know what you are looking for. You need to understand that hip hop and rap have become a worldwide fad. Fads equal potential profit. Rap/hip hop have become controlled by people who have no clue what it's about much less where it's going as long as they make money. And another point, these days, anyone can come out and say that they are rap/hip hop artists. What is a hip hop artist? Is Jay -Z a hip hop artist? Mabe, but definately not the definition of hip hop. Usually, the songs heard on the radio are 'politically safe'. The rest of the songs on the the artists cds get deeper into the ground of hip hop. Me, myself, I rarely listen to the songs a hip hop artist drops as singles, just because they sound the so 'watered down'. Behind the fad and nonsense of what people percieve hip hop to be, stems truth, quality, meaning, culture, thought, experience, lessons, expressions, truth and goals. You will hardly hear any of this on the radio. Real hip hop may not get any play on the radio, but radio is not the only way of being heard by the people who are true members to the hip hop culture and not just guest members feeding into the hype. Record companies put out what people want to hear. If you want to hear more about 'the real', you have to look a little harder than media. Search for yourself. They play what they think you want to hear. I don't want to hear any of it and I am a true hip hop follower. Find and listen to what appeals to you and not what radio djs, record execs, and others think you like. Think for yourself. Only after you do this will you be reunited with hip hop. P.s, a good start would be Commons latest cd, Electric Circus. Have fun

User Detail :  

Name : Kellee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Palmdale, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Given C
    I enjoy many forms of Music. I mostly listen to R&B, Hip pop(Rap inclusive) and Soul. However, I listen to Rock, I listen to classic, country and various other forms of music. I believe that one's mental diversity can be reflected in the diverse nature of the music they listen to. Music can show a mind that is broad, understands and appreciate the diverse cultures around the world. INDEED THE DIFFERENCES IN CULTURE AND LIFESTYLE ADDS A MYSTERY TOUCH TO LIFE WITHOUT WHICH THE WHOLE EXISTENCE WOULD BE TRULY MEANINGLESS!

User Detail :  

Name : Given C, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michelle20568
    Participant
    to say music entails melody and beauty is making an assumption. there is some 'music' that ia hardly melodic or beautiful to some but are to others. you are right when you say that hip hop today is not what it used to be. I was raised in hip hop culture and it is more than music. I think it has been co-opted by white people wishing to exploit black people to make money. Hip hop used to be something from the streets, but once white record execs realized they could make money off of it, it began to change. The music that sells really well is most detrimental. It is the music that speaks mostly of black men disrespecting women, braggin about committing crimes against each other, and calling each other 'niggas' 'bitches' and 'hoes'. All of this is detrimental to the black race, yet it is what gets pushed on our people the most. There are folks who are so hungry for money, they will participate in the degredation of their own people. The music that does not get enough promotion comes from people like Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, The Roots, Dead Prez or back int he fay with Poor Righteous Teachers, Public Enemy. The message is out there but the dominant culture does NOT want us to promote unity and respect for each other. They would rather pump negative music into our communities like drugs and weapons, in hopes that we destroy each other.

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle20568, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Jersey City, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Non Profit, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kellee
    What you are probobly listening to are pop artists trying to be rappers or hip-hop artists and are catering to the majority. The reason hip hop sounds different today compared to before, like Public Enemy, KRS ONE, etc., is that these earlier artists did not cater to the majority, they simply told the stories and vocalized the concerns of what was happening in their communities, one of which wasn't 'flossin'.

Seriously,if you think about it, people who have nothing to rap about except 'ice' couldn't have too many problems. The direction of some has shifted. What most want to hear is what gets played. This country thrives on what sells, not necessarily what's the best quality. To find the 'quality,' you have to be open enough to take the time to look for it. Know what you are looking for. You need to understand that hip hop and rap have become a worldwide fad. Fads equal potential profit. Rap/hip hop have become controlled by people who have no clue what it's about, much less where it's going, as long as they make money.

Also, these days, anyone can come out and say they are rap/hip hop artists. What is a hip hop artist? Is Jay -Z a hip hop artist? Maybe, but that's definitely not the definition of hip hop. Usually, the songs heard on the radio are 'politically safe.' The rest of the songs on the the artist's CDs get deeper into the ground of hip hop. I rarely listen to the songs a hip hop artist drops as singles, just because they sound so watered-down.

Behind the fad and nonsense of what people perceive hop to be is truth, quality, meaning, culture, thought, experience, lessons, expressions, truth and goals. You will hardly hear any of this on the radio. Real hip hop may not get any play on the radio, but radio is not the only way of being heard by the people who are true members of the hip hop culture and not just guest members feeding into the hype. Record companies put out what people want to hear. If you want to hear more about 'the real,' you have to look a little harder than media. Search for yourself. They play what they think you want to hear. I don't want to hear any of it, and I am a true hip hop follower. Find and listen to what appeals to you and not what radio deejays, record execs and others think you like. Think for yourself. Only after you do this will you be reunited with hip hop. A good start would be Common's latest CD "Electric Circus." Have fun

User Detail :  

Name : Kellee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Palmdale, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Cheryl32339
    Participant
    I agree that the rap music out now sucks, period. There is nothing to this music. It's all garbage. Back in the day, rap music had some sort of meaning to it, but now, I don't know what happened. It's the younger generation that's coming up into it. They listen to anything. They want to be rough and all that. But that's not what it's all about. I grew up listening to rap music. The music was a hell of a lot better back then, compared with what it is now. No originality. It's just some B.S.

User Detail :  

Name : Cheryl32339, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christian32030
    Participant
    your description of what metal and hard rock sounds like isn't much different from how hip-hop was described when it first began to break-through to mainstream audiences. Also, you would be surprised at how similar their roots are. Music is a reaction to one's surroundings or state of mind. Metal was born in the West Midlands in the UK, Birmigham to be more specific (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and even 1/2 of Led Zeppelin were from that area). It was (and still is) the industrial center of the country where you see nothing but factories and smokestacks for miles. Add the dreary weather, working-class neighborhoods and this music was begging to be born. Hence, music as as a repsponse to one's surroundings. If you're at all familiar with early hip-hop, it's creation stemmed from similar (if not more despairing) urban conditions. Metal to this day is a protest against authority of any form, at least it gets you thinking. Can hip-hop today make a similar claim? I'd say no, at least not since Public Enemy has rap had anything worthwhile to say. Also, since when does music needs approval to thrive? I'm curious to know who must this approval come from? last I checked, most music thrived even without the corporate and marketing support that hip-hop gets.

User Detail :  

Name : Christian32030, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Tom24134
    Participant
    To say that rappers now-a-days have no interest in discussing social issues shows everyone that you've only taken time to look at the most popular mainstream hip-hop artists before making a stereotype. Not many young people want to sit down to a song and truly think about its meaning, so a song about living the gangster life, smoking the best green, drinking the most expensive liquor, driving the most luxurious cars, and partying is more suitable to them. Hip-hop artists like Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Common, and Dead Prez are out there spitting the truth on every track, yet somehow in your search for any social discussion in hip-hop you skipped over them and many others.

User Detail :  

Name : Tom24134, Gender : M, City : Hudson, State : MA Country : United States, 

Jahny
    Why are the Roots the 1st major rap band? I respect hip-hop artists who avoid sampling and computer music 100x more than those who don't. Blacks brought over a rhythimic tradition from West Africa that is found in Gospel, Blues, Jazz, Ragtime, Soul, Funk, R & B, early Rock, etc. I've always wondered why the people who taught America how to dance would need a machine to make a beat.

User Detail :  

Name : Jahny, City : Chestnut Ridge, State : NY Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.