Can prejudice be erased?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Art Darwin
    Participant
    At 76, I have struggled for most of my years to free myself of prejudice, but still find nasty vestiges buried deeply inside. Reared in a small Southern town and on a farm that employed black field workers, I accepted strict segregation and all the rest as the 'natural order' of things. As I began to see the wrongness, the internal war was joined. I believe I've made much progress, but now doubt I'll ever get all the way.

To black readers: Given the nature of humanity, can eradicating prejudice ever be achieved, and if so, will it bring the utopia so earnestly promised?

User Detail :  

Name : Art Darwin, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 76, City : Morganton, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

J-Hector
    Participant
    I've come to realize that people will continue to be prejudiced as long as one person believes he is better than the other in some way. We all have some sort of prejudice. Some of us just express it more. All we can do is pray about it, do what we can and give the rest to God when those situations arise. I believe the only time there will be no prejudice is in Heaven. I commend you for wanting to change something about yourself that you don't like. Many people do realize things like this but feel they are powerless to do anything about it.

User Detail :  

Name : J-Hector, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, Age : 19, City : Tyler, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

NF20230
    Participant
    I do not feel prejudice can be defeated. Given our human nature, history, psychological profile ... utopia denied. Besides, consider all the things one could be prejudiced about: eye color, hair texture, voice inflections... All of these things one could alter or modify. Skin pigmentation? Besides, it's just too easy to target the color of one's skin. I have hope, however. I know that true change begins in me. It is a constant, daily struggle, and I believe in the power of one.

User Detail :  

Name : NF20230, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 47, City : Hampton, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Jennifer30852
    Participant
    The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was, there is no perfect being but Jesus. Granted, that's based on my own beliefs, and they may not work for you, but whenever I find myself sucking my teeth at someone else's foibles, I try to remember that I am subject to the same judgment that I mete out to others. My belief system also tells me that my God is tremendously merciful and doesn't expect perfection from me. He expects me to try. That's all. That said, Art, I don't know whether prejudice can be eradicated, nor am I sure that that's what's most important. That is, as a black person, I don't care as much what any given non-black person thinks of my blackness as I do about how their beliefs cause them to behave. One could posit that it's nearly impossible not to act on judgments we make about people and situations (keep in mind that white people don't have the corner on the market of prejudice - it's a human thing). However, I feel that all that anyone can ask of another human being is that they grapple with these issues.

You seem like a person of goodwill. That is tremendously valuable. Maybe you should concentrate on the journey rather than the destination. That is, don't stake the success or failure of your journey to eradicate prejudice within yourself on whether you feel you've achieved it. Try to concentrate on whether you will still try, whether you can ever say you have no prejudice within you at all. If you can say you will try and keep trying, well, you are a better man than many, regardless of ethnicity.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer30852, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : St. Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Non-Profit, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sherman
    Participant
    Racism cannot be wiped out because it's too deeply rooted in human nature. The only thing that we can do is try to recognize that we aren't perfect, try our best to rise above our petty prejudices and try to see each other as people. Remember that everyone is an individual and can't be lumped into categories.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Richmond, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Contractor, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

AJ28975
    Participant
    Thank you for asking that question. I have asked myself the very same one many times. I dont believe that racism will ever end in the United States. We walk on ground whose deepest roots are blood soaked in hatred. The United States began separate, unequal, and violent. How could people that left their homeland for freedom go to another place, and take away other people's land and freedom? When those early seeds were planted, the ugly fear that we carry deep within us today became the fruit of that seed. Most people are too afraid and ashamed to admit to the past. It is too painful for the ancestors of slaves as well as the ancestors of slave owners. I have lived and visited many countries outside of the US. I was surprized to see many races together, working, some married to each other, and there were no problems or racism. My friend who is not American said that maybe it is easier in other countries because they did not have slavery, or the murderous history that we have. I believe that anything is possible, but this is 2002 people, I was really hoping that by this time, we would be better, not worse... I will say this in closing...YForum is an start. We can come here and not be afraid to ask the questions that we honestly dont know the answers to! Questions we'd be too embarresed or afraid to ask face-to-face. I love this place...I am learning here and I hope we are all understanding each other a little better because of YForum. God Bless you all.

User Detail :  

Name : AJ28975, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : DC, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jay31345
    Participant
    Art, I think that if you become acquainted with more black people, the negative notions you have about them will diminish. What keeps racial prejudice thriving most is the lack of positive interactions with those of other races.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31345, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    Imho, I have learned that by being kind,and reaching out to others can help me feel better toward others. I heard a story about a woman who hated her husband, and wanted to divorce him. She went to her lawyer who gave her some advice. Her lawyer told her to go home, make her husband's favorite meals, be cheerful, express an interest in him, spend time with him, and at the end of one month, leave him. 'This would absolutely devastate him.' She went home and did exactly as her lawyer had instructed. Two months later, the lawyer accidently met the woman on the street. He asked her how her divorce proceedings went. She answered, 'Why would I want to divorce my husband? I have the best husband in the world.' Her change in behaviour resulted in his chance in behaviour, which resulted in their growing together. I think the same applies to relationships between races.

User Detail :  

Name : Arnold-Urbonas23786, Gender : M, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Nicole20045
    Participant
    It will take a long time, and maybe not in our days here on earth, but Utopia can be reached. We have a human nature to be prejudiced that is true. But it is all nature to lie, cheat, steal, hurt, sometimes kill. The problem is, prejudice dominated over all. I believe that prejudice is the biggest problem on our earth. (Ie. racism and religious) But prejudice stems solely from ignorance. We are only prejudiced becuase of fear of what we don't know. That is what started everything. But over the thousands of years that have passed, man has changed tremendously, and at a high-sloping and acclerating rate. We are now at a point where interracial relationships are common, (one day there may be so large a mixture of human colors that we won't know what racism is)and lack of knowledge is not the problem anymore. We know what are problem is, and what our fault is. We may have human instinct to be afraid if (for example) a severly crippled person steps to our door step. But we are also in an age where we are mature enough to welcome them. In an age where we have come to welcome and study the unknown, not kill it. At least half of us anyway, which is a much greater number than two thousand years ago. I think in time, we will all finally wake up. Of course, if blue and green people came down to our planet after we reached 'Utopia,' we may have to start all over! So maybe you are right about us not reaching Utopia, but we will be close enough. And that is almost perfect to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole20045, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Washington, DC, State : NA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Observer
    Participant
    I don't believe so. Don't get me wrong, but I think that it is an adaptive mechanism, to help us cope with our environment (our neighbours, coworkers, friends, merchants, strangers, etc). Even for those who prejudge, HOPEFULLY they still possess a sense of right and wrong (something even my pet dog has) and treat everyone fairly (i.e. providers of housing, legal, employment matters). There are always exceptions (as stereotypes never apply to everyone), and when these involve humans, they must deserve an equal and fair chance. I have pondered often about this issue, and I notice that we do take pride in positive achievement made by a member of our group (i.e the FIFA World Cup, superior cooking/ analytical/ sexual/ spiritual and other skills), we just don't want to hear about the bad things that another member of our group commits and perhaps learn from those and remain humble. What ever happened to 'taking the bad with the good'? I remember watching a documentary on TV, and this black activist said 'you don't have to like us, just treat us fairly when it comes to employment, housing, opportunies.' I find this comforting, because there are laws (where they apply) which enable us to tackle a specific case of prejudice. My only concern is that those who administer and dispense justice may be impartial, and in a 'civilized society' there isn't any other avenue beyond legal recourse. Hope that helps.

User Detail :  

Name : Observer, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Oriental, Age : 31, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Retail, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Charles
    Of course racism will eventually go away. It is not rooted in our human nature. As the world gets smaller, and our knowlege of people grows, racism will die out. A lot of it is already dying out with the old. People need to stopping copping out in life and blaming bad inclinations on human nature. 'Oh, I was born this way'. What a crock! Take some personal responsibility. We come into the world as infants unblimished. Those of you that are religious will recognize the even the bible says this. We have choices to make in life. Some choices are wrong and some are right. Usually wrong choices are made because they satisfy some selfish desire, like power through birthright or pleasure through taking from others or alternative ways of expressing sexuality. It is true that we are not perfect, but we cannot give up and let evil win.

User Detail :  

Name : Charles, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Network Admin, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jim
    Participant
    it was relatively recent history when we came to realize that the earth was not the center of the universe, with the sun revolving around it. up to a certain point in time, people were burned at the stake for even suggesting it (at least, in european-dominated cultures). the same is true for a person's supposed right to own another, etc. i think that not only is change the most fundamental human characteristic, it is the most fundamental characteristic of all things. the only real question is, how much pain and suffering will we inflict on each other attempting to avoid the change that is inevitable?

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 36, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : poet, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    Because there will always be people (mainly White people) like yourself who perceive themselves to be 'better', 'superior' and 'more deserving of' the American Dream, simply because they are White. And there will always be people like me who will constantly remind you that you are not 'better', 'superior', or 'more deserving' of the American Dream than I am.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.