Can one race really “dance” like another?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

C. Sundaram
    Participant
    When people dance, whether Rap and Bollywood or 'art' dances or cultural forms, do their bodies reveal traces of their racial and ethnic genetic history, no matter how well-trained they are? Can this be overcome? If so, how? Does it make it a less-than-authentic experience for the viewer? In other words, can white people really 'do' black people's dances, or Asian dances, and vice versa?

User Detail :  

Name : C. Sundaram, City : London, State : MA Country : United Kingdom, 

ED25506
    Participant
    I believe any human being, with enough skill and sufficient practice, can perform any dance satisfactorily. As you imply, however, a large part of any performance is audience expectation. For instance, if an audience expects to see a Balinese traditional dance and Nigerians take the stage to perform it, it's likely that there will be some feeling among onlookers that the experience is 'less-than-authentic,' no matter how well the dance is performed. I think the key to overcoming this is for the audience to suspend judgment and focus on the dance itself, not the dancers (a difficult prospect, I know). As an aside, I once went to a performance advertised as African Drumming. Naturally, I expected the musicians to be Africans (even though the advertising fliers had no pictures). Imagine my surprise when the curtain went up and the performers were white students from a Midwestern university (some audience members were so shocked they got up and left in a huff). I stayed to listen, and I'm glad I did. The students gave an excellent performance, which I enjoyed very much. If I hadn't seen the performers, I would never have guessed they were young white folks.

User Detail :  

Name : ED25506, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 47, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, 

Johnna29337
    Participant
    I think the answer to your question is yes. The manner in which people dance is a reflection of the culture they grew up in and of their individual dancing ability, not their racial or ethnic genetic history. So if a white person grew up with or around black people and experienced black music and dancing, he or she will probably dance like black people because they was exposed that culture. It might be more difficult for an adult to learn to dance in a new style, but I think a well-trained person (especially someone who is already a good dancer) could learn to dance in a manner that is different from their culture of origin.

User Detail :  

Name : Johnna29337, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Montgomery, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Librarian, 

D-Poet31800
    Participant
    You are getting two very different things mixed up. Skin color and culture. I believe in only one race, which is human, but for this purpose i will answer your question as you see it, with races being black, white and whatever else. How does one skin color influence how much rhythm they have? Regardless of what movies show you, a certain race does not dance a certain way. You're telling me a white man with rhythm will dance worse than a black man with no coordination? There is no such thing as a race dance. There are, however, places where dances orginate. The Twist by Chubby Checker, The Harlem Shake from Harlem, even The Urkel made by Jaleel White. These may have orginated from people of different 'races,' but that does not mean everyone of the orignators race can do them. Not everyone from Harlem can do the Harlem Shake. Skin color determines nothing but how easily you get sunburned.

User Detail :  

Name : D-Poet31800, Age : 16, City : Anywhere, State : NA Country : Everywhere, 

Kathy
    Hi, white people dance well to white music. Celtic, country, classical. Its about diversity. I agree white people look stupid when trying to dance top black music. Different rhythem.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : Fresno, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Allen Retasket
    Participant
    Hell no! At least Native American dance. It's so funny watching so called Indians, usually claiming to be Cherokee, tring to dance like us. Native Americans dance ever so gracefully because they are one connected with the earth dancing to the heartbeat of the Mother Earth.

User Detail :  

Name : Allen Retasket, Gender : M, Race : American Indian, Religion : Native American, Age : 56, City : wenatchee, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Services Co-ordinator, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Rhea28961
    Participant
    Well Im white and wasn't raised in a black neighborhood but I have been known to dance well to rap and hip hop, some people have even compared me to how a black person dances. What I dont understand is when I do dance black people give me dirty looks, do they think im trying to copy them or something? I never knew they danced that way I just tought myself how to dance and always enjoyed dancing that way. I started to dance when I learned how to walk.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhea28961, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Albany, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.