British vs. English

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Carter-O
    Participant
    I'm a mix of Irish, Welsh, Scottish, German and ... English or British, I don't really know which. Do people living in the United Kingdom differentiate between what is British and what is English? If so, in what ways? Is it cultural and/or racial?

User Detail :  

Name : Carter-O, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 29, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Susan
    Participant
    while English is a 'nationality.' My grandparents, from Scotland, are technically British, as are your ancestors from Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, but, as I'm sure you've noticed, some within these groups would take great offense at being classified as British given the political events of centuries past.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 48, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Matthew
    Participant
    British = English + Welsh + Scottish. UK = Great Britain + Northern Ireland (for now? ) This is a topic that has been simmering in the UK for the past few years. As you may know, Scotland and Wales have gained regional assemblies recently and there are now calls for England to have one as well, as Scottish and Welsh politicians can now vote on matters that regard England more than the other way around. Then there is Northern Ireland... The England flag (St George's cross) is seen more and more at sporting events and some Little Englanders are moaning about pubs not having longer hours on St George's day as they do on St Patrick's day. Most sane English people do not care very much though. (For the record, the large majority of English people would gladly see Northern Ireland out of the UK as both sides of the divide there scare us).

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew, Gender : M, Race : English/French, Religion : Atheist, Age : 29, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.