Blacks’ experiences overseas

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Karia
    To African Amereicans and others of African descent who have been overseas: How were you treated and viewed in other countries besides the United States, specifically by European and Asian cultures?

User Detail :  

Name : Karia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    Writer and civil rights activist James Baldwin wrote several essays, short stories and even novels dealing with this subject. Two to start with are his essay 'A Stranger in the Village,' included in the anthology 'The Price of the Ticket,' and his short story 'This Morning, This Evening, So Soon,' from the collection 'Going to Meet the Man.' I think you'll find that even his fictionalized accounts will give you insight into some issues you could end up dealing with.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Framingham, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Tracy24865
    Participant
    I guess everyone has a different experience depending on where within a nation they go. However, I have spent time in China, Japan and Korea and basically forgot that I was black. What I mean is that I received no ill treatment from East Asians when there. Particularly in Japan, I never was made to feel uncomfortable. Instead, people seemed eager to learn about me. I also made a lot of friends. Unfortunatly I can't say the same about my trip in England which is the only European country that I have been to. I found the white british, while a bit more open to me than white Americans, similarly hateful towards blacks. This was more on the downlow than in the US though, most whites don't show it until it's time for you to get a job or something, if you know what i mean.. Like I mentioned before though, Everyone's experience is different. I have alot of black friends that have been to East Asia and had the same experience, ie, loving the people, culture, etc, and feeling comfortable... Some black people, depending on where they go may have different experiences. Also in the case with England and Europe.

User Detail :  

Name : Tracy24865, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Bronx, State : NY Country : United States, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.