Blacks dying in Hurricane Katrina

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

tom19532
    Participant
    it blows my mind to listen to the comments about the 'consparcy against blacks' during the hurricane. Take off your glasses and look at the facts instead of from your biased, racist distorted perspective. Bad things have happened in the past to many different people. Most people in America today have never owned a slave, and believe it or not do not hate blacks or any races. I think most people just dont care one way or another what race another is. There are a few confused individuals on all sides, but the majority just don't care. If you want to talk about hate, look at the Nation of Islam which calls all whites devils. Just some stupid brainwashed confused individuals

User Detail :  

Name : tom19532, City : Toledo, State : OH Country : United States, 

Brad
    Participant
    Tryimg to be level-headed about this, I can honestly say that I don't THINK that Bush is a blatant racist. That being said, I DO, however, think that Bush doesn't care about those who didn't vote for him, and probably wouldn't vote for him (not that it matters NOW). At the very least, I would chalk it up to a LOT of buck-passing and finger-pointing.

User Detail :  

Name : Brad, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Winchester, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer repair tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Lynne
    Participant
    Maybe the government doesn't sit down and plot ways to kill poor black people, but as for 'common sense', I am of the opinion that common sense supports Kanye West's statement that the president doesn't care about black people. New orleans is vulnerable to hurricanes, as are all southern coastal regions. It is more vulnerable than most to flooding because it is mostly below sea level. The levees are vitally important to holding back the lake and river. Now, the current administration is the stupidest in my memory, but they aren't so stupid they don't know that. The city also has enormous pumps to deal with flooding. The corps of engineers asked for money to shore up the levee and were refused. When the levee broke, the pumps were underwater. Also, the impact of the storm was made worse by the terrible coastal erosion in the area due to offshore oil drilling. This administration is shall we say, very friendly with big oil interests and rather indifferent to the environment, to put it mildly. Now, people in new orleans aren't stupid. There are always a few people who choose to gamble that a severe storm will change course, but for the most part, people who can leave don't stay to face a category 4 hurricane. Those who don't leave are those who are too poor to. And the overwhelming majority of the urban poor are black. The government knew that its actions and inactions would make the impact of a severe hurricane worse, and they knew who would bear the brunt of it. Doesn't sound very caring to me. Here in Florida, we had four hurricanes in 2004. Although there was a great deal of property damage, there was very little death. In Florida, poor people can't afford to live in the coastal areas that are most vulnerable. People who can live there can afford to leave. Even inland, the impact of a hurricane can be quite severe--the county I live in is 50 miles from the gulf and 70 miles from the ocean, but it was declared a disaster area after being hit by both Frances and Jeanne--but after each of the storms, FEMA was there the next day. Maybe it was because the population affected was more diverse. Maybe it was because of whose brother our governor is. But FEMA wasn't there for the people of New Orleans who were poor and black.

User Detail :  

Name : Lynne, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, 

mike
    Participant
    I,sir, have hade 5 teeth knocked out by a african america hiway patrol officer. The reason? I was driving a hot car. Is this a Rodney King kind of incident? Similar, maybe. Did I Bitch about it? No, I knew I was wrong? Cop's kick your ass when it is necassary. The playing feild. Wow, yoy've got balls. I sit and wait on a bus while I see people of all different race's sitting in the a/c . You, my freind need to quit listening to Farakkkan? You are the bigot, and the world owe's you NOTHING

User Detail :  

Name : mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : vegas, State : NV Country : United States, Occupation : bartender, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.