Blacks and pitbulls

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    I live in a neighborhood with a significant black population. I'm always curious as to why many blacks here insist on owning pitbulls. I've noticed this at many other neighborhoods, also. Why is it that a relatively large section of blacks own a serious-ferocious dog vs. owning a more fun-loving and likable breed, i.e. retriever, collie, beagle? Is there a message here? Does one need an animal to instill fear and earn respect from the public? Is is sending a 'DONT MESS WITH ME' attitude?

User Detail :  

Name : portchatter, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 30, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Anonymous
    Participant
    A lot of oppressed people, or people who have trouble finding work, look for a way to make a quick buck. A very easy way to do this is dog fighting, and pit bulls are the dog of choice for this. People train their dogs to be ferocious because a pit bull who wins a dog fight can bring in thousands of dollars.

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : Southern, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan27310
    Participant
    Sometimes if you live in a high crime area and can't afford a home alarm system, a big, mean dog can mean the difference between peace of mind and a ransacked house or assaulted family members. Also, in such areas the pitbull has proliferated, so it would be much easier and cheaper to acquire a pitbull puppy as a pet than to go to a fancy breeder and get a purebred labrador, and that's generally because the guy on the other side of the alley breeds pits for a living and can cut you a deal. Also, such a dog can be a status symbol. Its fierce and muscular appearance and bad reputation can enhance someone's machismo and self-assurance just like a monster truck or an assault rifle. I don't it's a race thing because certain Latinos and whites own such dogs in equal frequencies. It seems to be more of a class and environmental thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27310, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Brian23044
    Participant
    I live in a very rural area where approximately 97 percent of the population is European-Caucasion. Pitbulls are extremely popular here, despite some recent, very publicized events where the dogs turned on the owners' children. As the two posts before this said, the issue is usually professional dog fighting (as was the case in one of the children who was attacked), and home protection (as is the case with several of my neighbors). All of these individuals are white, and think socio-economic class has more to do with it than race. After all, I don't know any black doctors or lawyers who keep pit bulls.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23044, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Kokomo, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Joanna
    Participant
    I don't think people having pits has anything to do with race. Years ago, pit bulls were the most popular family dog in America. They are extremely friendly, faithful, intelligent, and sweet when they are trained right. And they make great watch dogs. What more could ANY family want in a pet? The question should be why don't MORE people have pit bulls.

User Detail :  

Name : Joanna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Commack, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : social work, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kathleen
    I am a Black professional who lives in the 'burbs and I own a pure-bred pit bull. He is the sweetest most precious dog I have ever known. In my lifetime I have owned a Collie, an Irish Setter, a Boxer/Great Dane mix, and a couple of mutts. My Pit Bull is loyal, very affectionate, and extremely playful -- even GOOFY. If I tried to make him evil, I'm sure I could, but I could do that with a Cocker Spaniel as well. Anyone who would say Pit Bulls are not 'fun-loving' or 'likable' obviously hasn't been around a Pit. According to the AKC, less than 2% of all Pit Bulls currently in the US have ever bitten a human being. It just so happens that people who are buying and breeding Pits to fight and attack are giving them a bad name. Any dog you train to fight -- will. Its just that Pits and Rotts are large dogs, so they are more intimidating (and they tend to do more damage when they do attack)

User Detail :  

Name : Kathleen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 40, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Eureta
    Participant
    I personally own both a pitbull and a labrador. Although the pitbull looks muscular and 'ferocious' I have found him to be quite the opposite. In contrast, my labrador pushes him around profusely. He is an excellent animal with my young children however(I have 3), and I hope that the puppies that my lab soon will be having by him have his muscular structure, but her devoted temperment. Even though I love my pitbull to death, I mostly prefer the labrador for her consistent desire to please and obey, whereas the pitbull has a tendency to be a little 'bull-headed'.

User Detail :  

Name : Eureta, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 26, City : St. Marys, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.