Blacks and “non-hip-hop” music

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Laurei
    Participant
    There's no problem with white people listening to hip-hop and rap. But if you're black and listen to anything other than that (like rock), then you're a sellout. Why?

User Detail :  

Name : Laurei, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Jim
    Participant
    Maybe they don't know that black people invented rock music, or maybe they think you don't like hip-hop because you don't like the color of the people who run it.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 32, City : jones, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Tax accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

James
    Participant
    The problem with this particular subject is that most people white or black have little interest in the history of hip hop and American music in general. There were people of all ethnicities or races involved in the beginning of Hip hop.Any black person who deprecates those who also enjoy country, bluegrass or rock is a person with little knowledge of the contribution of African Americans to the musical culture of this country. Know your history. A tree without roots will not grow.

User Detail :  

Name : James, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 40+, City : Greensboro, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : education, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sara Carter
    Participant
    I think it's because people may percive you as mixed up, or even confused. So the best way for them to say they don't understand that you simple are diverse with your selection of music, they chose to address it as a sellout.

User Detail :  

Name : Sara Carter, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, 

Christopher
    Participant
    Rock music maybe the spawn of grassroots african american bands but I wouldn't say black people invented rock music. Music is evolution of sounds and if we want to be technical then white people invented hip hop. I do belive Kraftwerk started using samples and electronic beats first and were the most sampled band when hip hop started.

User Detail :  

Name : Christopher, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Visual Merchandiser, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

T. Arroyo
    Participant
    Poeple who actully believe that African Americans cannot be diverse in music, art, food, etc are ignorant. Having a love for music other than hip-hopo and rap does not make you a sell out, it is what distinguishes you as true music lover or artist. If you have ever heard many African American artist speak on their true inspirations, few of them get them are inspired by hip-hop and rap. I love everything from Santana to Akon and if anyone ever called me a sell out, I would simply write them off as ignorant. You are who you are. Be proud and keep with it!

User Detail :  

Name : T. Arroyo, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 23, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Managment, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

malika Hampton
    Participant
    That is very true. I like all types of music and am constantly being told that I am not Black. Hip hop music does not make you black. People don't seem to understand that. Hip Hop is not a cultural aspect of every black person in the U.S.. I grew up overseas and did not hear any Rap until I was a teenager. I grew up listening to Sting and the Police and music like that. The only thing that makes you Black is your skin color.

User Detail :  

Name : malika Hampton, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Columbus, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : graphic designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Brad
    Participant
    Black people who are this closed-minded usually have no real sense of musical history. Otherwise they'd realize that 1) Most rock and rollers were influenced by black legends of the past and 2) Rock and roll was actually started by black musicians (sorry Elvis, but you were not the first). And let's face it, most Metal players owe their careers to Jimi Hendrix! Bottom line, don't let anybody tell you what music to listen to.

User Detail :  

Name : Brad, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Winchester, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer repair tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Lynne
    Participant
    Maybe some of his fans were ignorant, but Elvis always spoke openly of the strong black influence on his music. Not only did blacks start rock, they have remained a presence in rock to this day. Vernon Reid of the '80s metal band Living Colour started an organization called the Black Rock Coalition because he was frustrated at the lack of acceptance for black rock bands by mainstream record companies. They have an interesting website, www.blackrockcoalition.org

User Detail :  

Name : Lynne, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Jesse
    Participant
    Why do you say that black people who don't listen to rap, hip-hop are a sell out. It shouldn't matter what music you listen to.

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 15, City : Middletown, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

TL28914
    Participant
    I grew up on the South Side of Chicago in the hood. I listened to anything from ABC to Grand Master Flash to Mozart to ZZ Top. Nobody gave me any grief. No one ever considered me a sellout. They knew that's just who I was. My nickname was New Wave (it was the 80's). I'm the same today. I can bob my head to The Game or Marilyn Manson. Still not getting any grief for it either. It's who you are & how you carry yourself. If you are in the hood walking around acting like Hillary from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air or Whitney from a Different World, then yeah folks are going to think that you are acting White & are selling out. If you are just yourself, then it's all good.

User Detail :  

Name : TL28914, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 37, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.