Blacks and Asians

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

J. I.
    In this country, most discussions about race focus on blacks and whites. Given that Asians outnumber both groups worldwide, I want to know what blacks and Asians think about each other. Do blacks consider Asians to be people of color? To what degree are Asians as racist toward blacks as whites often are, or as racist toward whites as blacks often are?

User Detail :  

Name : J. I., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 56, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Voiceover, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Alma M.
    Participant
    I can only respond based on my experience and observation. Asians, as any other group, are just as vulnerable to the generalizations, stereotyping and misrepresentation in media and society in general. Because generalizations, stereotypes and marginalization/misrepresentation of blacks is so rampant, there are those who believe them and buy into them rather than question their validity. It is unfortunate whenever members of these groups look upon each other with suspiscion and malice, because in reality, both suffer similar oppressions and marginalization. I would like to see more collaboration between these two groups.

User Detail :  

Name : Alma M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Filipino-American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 46, City : Clinton, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Instructor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kim H.
    Participant
    I can't speak for Asians and I can't speak for all black folks - I can only speak for me. First, I think the region of the country in which a person lives may play a factor in how certain ethnic groups interact. For instance, I know that on the West Coast, relations are quite strained between blacks and Asians. Yet here in Minneapolis, we don't have that type of strain. I think a lot of the problems lie in the structures within cultures that are misunderstood. Let me give you an example: Let's say it's Los Angeles and Koreans move into a predominately black area -they survey the neighborhood, take note of what is lacking in the way of commerce, and within a short time open up a couple of much-needed stores. Blacks see this, and think that these "immigrants" are receiving monies that they can not access (myth or not, aside from any red-lining by banks). Blacks are angry that they are unable to get money to start businesses of their own. Now, let's stop here and look at the situation. What a lot of blacks don't understand is that most Asian cultures are very clan-oriented. These people will pool their resources to benefit the group. Our history in this country is different. If you recall, it was against the law for three or more blacks to get together. There was an air of "look out for one's own" when we were slaves. One did what one had to do to better their position on the plantation; thus the conflicts surrounding "field niggers" and "house niggers." Of course, in this day and age, it translates into a lot of mistrust and in-fighting within our communities - not anything that is conducive to working together.

Of course, this explanation doesn't touch the obvious issues that many immigrants, including Asians, who have embraced capitalism fully, open up stores and conduct business in a way that exploits the poor and already disenfranchised, to make an extra buck. It is all about the bottom line. I'm always shocked and amazed when businesses, of any kind, take a more humanistic view. In any case, blacks' history in this country is different from any other ethnic group living in the United States, and whether anyone wants to believe it or not, we are still trying to throw off all the after-effects of slavery that muddy our thinking, make us suspect others and have us second-guessing our own genius. We're trying so hard to expel the kinetic memory of it, but it's hard to do. I guess we'll be taking it into the next millennium with us.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim H., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 43, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Actress, Playwright and Director, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

May-Ling
    Participant
    From my experience growing up as a Japanese/Taiwanese/Mexican American, I have seen more racism from my Asian relatives towards blacks than from whites. My grandmother (Japanese), always referred to anyone with dark skin as 'dirty.' As a child, I had very dark skin, and I remember how much she tried to scrub the color out when I bathed. Particularly in Japan, pale skin signifies beauty. As to how Asians feel towards white people, the only kind of 'racism' I noticed is the feeling that some behavior is too aggressive or loud. From my grandmother's viewpoint, it is better for an Asian woman to marry a white man. He possesses light skin and will treat her with more respect and equality than a Japanese or Chinese man. It has been difficult for me to understand this Asian perspective, especially since some Asians who are discriminated against by white people still maintain their own racist views.

User Detail :  

Name : May-Ling, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mexican-American/Taiwanese/Japanese, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.