Black stars with racist views

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Bobby V.
    Why does the media ignore African-American celebrities with politically incorrect views, but then crucifies white conservatives like Charlton Heston for their unorthodox views? Movies like 'Bowling For Columbine' portray Heston as a lunatic and crazed Nazi, while movies like 'Ali' portray Muhammad Ali as the epitome of heroism, even though he was a member of the Nation of Islam. According to the Nation's doctrines, black people are superior 'gods' and white people are genetically inferior 'devils' created 6,000 years ago by a mad scientist named Yacub. If an athlete like Ali believes that other races are inferior to his, how does what he believe differ from what pitcher John Rocker believes? If both John Rocker and Muhammad Ali believe their races are superior, why does the media only crucify Rocker and not Ali for their racist views?

User Detail :  

Name : Bobby V., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

na20239
    Participant
    Welcome to the American media. They are sooooooo afraid of being labelled 'racist' by the 'racism detectives' (motto: 'Call us: We can find racism in ANY comment or action') if they published or commented on black racists' rants that they just ignore it. Anytime the media or companies do anything that is not within the narrow confines of the Afrocentric agenda there are cries of 'racism!' Then, Sharpton and Jackson are seen on tv mouthing off with their reactionary warnings of gloom and doom, leading packs of sullen faced supporters urging a boycot of the offending individual/company/movie etc. And the fact that the all-black movie, 'Barber Shop' which was boycotted by Jackson et al for making irreverent comments about Rosa Parks is testament of this oversensitivity to (perceived) racism. Its at the point where any comment, observation or awareness of anything not 100% positive about African Americans is considered 'racist' even if no malice or hate are involved. So, as a white person, you should get used to being criticized, disrespected, mocked, hated, and admonished for any problems that black people may face - and be allowed to say only positive things about African Americans even when they do anything stupid, bad, racist, hateful etc. And at work, don't dare even think of firing, admonishing, suspending black employers for tardy behavior, sloppy work ethic or extreme absenteeism or complain to supervisors about black colleagues conduct lest you wish to be branded a racist and lose your job. And you should also get used to not being allowed to have any respect for your ancestors culture, customs, history etc without being seen as supportive of slavery and hateful of everyone who is not European.

User Detail :  

Name : na20239, City : n/a, State : NA Country : United States, 

Me21909
    Participant
    You seem very concern about a perceived double-standard. But, I notice that you don't point out that the races in the U.S. (I notice you come from Canada; how interesting, considering the named folks are American)have had WIDELY differing historical experiences, the trauma of which most Blacks are only recently recovering from. Along with equal outcry from 'The' media must come EQUAL daily living treatment as well! You don't seem to realize that the fear and concern you seem to have for this organization Ali allegedly belonged to is THE EXACT SAME FEAR AND CONCERN we African-Americans have for your Klan, hate radio, and white supremacist groups/views as well! It's a two-way street! You can't whine about 'preferential' treatment if you personally had not been unlucky enough to have been on the receiving end of discriminatory and sometimes violent (at times EVEN LEGALLY sanctioned in the not-too-distant past) treatment that is STILL occuring.

User Detail :  

Name : Me21909, Race : Black/African American, City : Gotham Vity, State : NA Country : 8th dimension, 

Chris E.
    I have the answer to your question my friend: the Jews run the media. Every major network and every major newspaper in the United States is owned by Jews. The zionist Jews want to portray blacks and other minorities as heroes because it encourages race-mixing, which will eventually destroy the white race. Just look at Sumner Redstone's (a Jew) MTV. You hardly ever see whites on there unless it's an interracial couple. Even the notoriously racist BET (Black Entertainment Network) is owned by a Jew. Jews are so liberal in our country, yet In Israel, they won't even allow someone citizenship without having Jewish ancestry. They lobby for gun control in our country, yet in Israel, the average citizen can carry an Uzi down the street. They have used the Holocaust as a billion-dollar business to gain them money and sympathy. They make up roughly 2.5 percent of the U.S. population yet control close to half of our government. You call that fair representation? America needs to wake up.

Director's Note: Y? Forum occasionally prints postings that fall outside the boundaries of its guidelines, lest its users become lulled into a false sense that all submissions to the project are designed to be civil - or engaging.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris E., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 36, City : Stafford, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : molecular biologist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Djona
    Participant
    It is a bit of a double standard. I think the idea is that because of 'white guilt,' whites are expected to be more tolerant than blacks are, and especially to be more careful about what they say. People are very quick to call a white person a racist, and that person might be extremely uncomfortable with such a label (unless they are racist). Fewer black folks have qualms about being called racist, and many don't even believe they can be racist. Basically, I think it boils down to which kind of racism is perceived as most threatening - or embarrassing. John Rocker is a reminder of an era we'd just as soon forget, but few people feel threatened by some pro-black form of institutionalized racism promoted by what amounts to a fringe group. But whatever the reason, neither is harmless nor should be considered acceptable.

User Detail :  

Name : Djona, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 28, City : Fairfax, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Software engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dave26021
    Participant
    I guess it has become acceptable for black Americans to get away with promoting 'their race' no matter how much truth they omit. It is ridiculous that a racist organization such as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People can get away with what they do daily. If an organization such as the National Association for the Advancement of White People took on the same agenda, they would be called racists, there would be riots, a lot of property damage and a lot of white people hurt. The reason we don't see extremes in white society is that we know that we would have to pay the consequences because black Americans have proven they are violent and find it almost impossible to be moral, fair and honest. We don't crucify Ali because we would pay dearly for it.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave26021, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 49, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Mental Health, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael F.
    Participant
    Let's look at what you said. You're comparing what Charlton Heston said in a documentary vs. what Will Smith -an actor playing Muhammad Ali - said in a movie that was based on a true story. And you're wondering where's the outrage and vilification from the media? Apparently you're too young to remember the rage white America felt toward Ali during the '60s and '70s, when every word out of the man's mouth was deemed to be advocating hate and violence toward white people. The media was all over him, whether it be his stance on the Vietnam War or his opinions about race. Just like the media is critical of Al Sharpton, Reggie White, Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, Sammy Sosa, Dusty Baker or any minority who says something controversial. My point is that the 'crucifixion' of Ali took place years ago, and to compare what Ali thought about whites years ago to what he thinks now will lead to just the type of question you are posing. Political correctness is a fairly new concept, mind you, and it didn't exist during Ali's time because, frankly, whites didn't give a hoot about being sensitive to minorities. And there are still plenty of whites who continue to think of blacks as being sub-human and permanently cursed by Noah, and guess what they are called: Christians.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael F., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : unemployed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gonzo21529
    Participant
    You start off by saying that Ali WAS a member of the Nation of Islam. Note the past tense. So was Malcolm X. Both left the Nation of Islam after realizing that neither race is superior. It is not his current belief. You have made a presumption not based on facts. Past belief does not equal current belief. Ali was jailed and 'crucified' for his beliefs back then. Later, he proved his faith was true, and he embraced Islam wholeheartedly, especially after completing the Hajj. Rocker has not exactly been remorseful about his remarks, so forgiveness is unlikely to occur.

User Detail :  

Name : Gonzo21529, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pagan, Age : 35, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Finesse
    You're right. Racism is racism, no matter what persuasion the racist is. I think that a lot of blacks look the other way when it comes to things like this because they mistakenly feel that we somehow have the right to be racist considering our history. I sometimes hear things being said about whites by my peers that shock me. In these instances, I always speak up. I think part of the reason this goes on is that no one's making it an issue - probably for fear they'll be labeled a racist if they're white and an Uncle Tom if they're black.

User Detail :  

Name : Finesse, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 29, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, 

Sunny
    Participant
    I imagine it's because Muhammad Ali hasn't said much of anything publicly in quite some time. The media reports current events. 'Crucifying' Ali today would be akin to dragging up George Wallace, who hasn't publicly expressed racist views in years. What's new or interesting about decades-old racist statements? Additionally, one must consider the social context. John Rocker made racist statements post-political correctness. His statements were inappropriate for the time. Muhammad Ali was most vocal during a time when racist speech was part of everyday conversation.

User Detail :  

Name : Sunny, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Grad Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Duck
    Participant
    I guess it is because white people in history had the reputation of being racist, or thought that they were above everyone. People really haven't seen other races that way, so when they do it now it isn't as big of a deal. I think that it is almost worse to hear of a black or Jewish person who is racist because of what their people went through.

User Detail :  

Name : Duck, City : Fairfax, State : VA Country : United States, 

Abby
    Participant
    I think its because for many years, black people weren't allowed the 'opportunity' to have opinions on anything, much less race equality. No one wants to be associated with the ignorance of racism, so no one is going to argue with a black man's racist ideas, lest they be seen as being anti-black. Whites were able to 'get away' with making racist statements for those many years, and now it's not acceptable. At some point, it won't be acceptable for anyone.

User Detail :  

Name : Abby, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 26, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ACC25117
    Participant
    I don't know if you were around at the time. I was just a little kid at the end of this period, but I still remember how deeply hated Ali was for most of the '60s and '70s by most whites and some blacks. Not just because of his religion, but also because he was seen as too abrasive, obnoxious and downright traitorous when he refused to go to Vietnam. Then when the public changed its mind about Vietnam, he finally gained more acceptance.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25117, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, Age : 37, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, 

Kristina26290
    Participant
    Do blacks have the history of oppression and violence against other people because of their skin color like whites? Do whites have to constantly live under negative stereotypes that affect, or I should say, make life a bit more difficult for them in society? No. Although I don't agree with the Islamic theory you mentioned in your question, looking at the history of blacks and how they have been tortured by whites in past eras, wouldn't it make sense that they would come to ponder such things? It isn't right to assume anyone is inferior, but at least with blacks I can say the ones that feel that way have reason behind their feelings. Whites, on the other hand, have always been the oppressor. When they preach about inferiority of another race, it isn't because that race actually DID something to them, but rather that they don't like someone looking different from them. I also want to add that Islam isn't the only religion that has inferiority theories. For example, some Christians believe that blacks are inferior because of Ham's sin, which caused him and his generations to be suppressed by his two brothers and their generations. The Bible is also full of references of how the Hebrew people were the chosen ones, while I guess everyone else was dirt.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina26290, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

G.K.
    Excuse me,Dave, but what you said about black folks is so ignorant,stupid,and thoughtless that I just had to respond. For one thing,black folks don't have a claim on committing crimes/violence any more than anyone else on this whole damn planet. Furthermore,if you would do some research on the NAACP's history,which you obviously know nothing about,it was created in a time---in the early 20th century--when white people could not only say whatever they wanted but commit virtually any kind of atrocity you can imagine against black people---hangings,killings,shootings--for often no other reason than the simple fact that they could get away with it and never suffer the consequences. They are not a racist organization--and their job is to watch out for discrimination toward black folks--which still goes on in this day and age,whether you want to believe it or not. And as for the Nation of Islam---puh-lease. Minister Farrakhan was crucified in the media for years--and rightly so,I think--for his anti-Jewish views. I find it funny now that in the past couple of years since he's toned down his rhetoric a great deal and has expressed more interest in working with Jewish organizations,the media has completely forgotten his existence. And since when did only white people have a claim on being fair and honest? Try telling that to the people who worked for Enron and got robbed of all their life savings by their own bosses. Seriously,what planet are you living on? White people always think that because they're the majority in this country that there is something wrong with anybody who dosen't look,act,or think like them, which is the view they have always had toward non-white folks. To B.V.: What other AA celebrities with politically incorrect views are you talking about? Ali hasn't been spouting these views for years, and you can't even compare what he said with what that narrow-minded loudmouth Rocker said, because Ali had to fight against the stereotypes of what a black boxer was supposed to do in a much more racist time. Another thing--both the NAACP and the Nation Of Islam,even for their rhetoric,have never burned a cross in front of a white person's home,ran them out of their neighborhood,or threatened to wipe them out--the Klan and these other white supremacist groups are known for doing all these things, so why the hell haven't you acknowleged that fact?

User Detail :  

Name : G.K., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Security Guard, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.