Black identities

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Valentina
    To what extent have black people taken on personal and political identities as a means of resisting or countering the dominance of Eurocentric and racist ideologies?

User Detail :  

Name : Valentina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : white European, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Farnham, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    I can only answer for myself, but I do find that the person I have become is at least in part influenced by my desire to forge my own identity, apart from the values and judgements of a Eurocentric culture. For example, after years of using chemical processes of one kind or another on my hair, I decided to stop altogether, because I couldn't rule out the possibility that I was doing it in response to internalized devaluation of nappy hair. Now I have long dreadlocks, and i've never felt more beautiful, more myself. There are other aspects of my personality and politics that others might consider 'black nationalist' or something, but really, these aspects have been what I consider to be natural manifestations of the reality of my life. ___________________

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.