Black folks’ teeth

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Lee22836
    Participant
    I seem to notice the a lot of black people have buck teeth, gap teeth or both. Why is that? Also, I am curious why a lot of black people seem fascinated with gold teeth.

User Detail :  

Name : Lee22836, Sexual Orientation : Straight, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Dee
    Participant
    Whites usually find themselves in a position of trying to 'figure out' black culture primarily by observing their physical appearance. For example, hair texture and style are commonly used as indicators of how one should categorize blacks. However, your question about teeth is new to me. I suspect you are attempting to use physical characteristics to try to ease some of your curiosity about blacks. If so, keep in mind that whatever you are observing as common among blacks is likely as prevalent in other group - more specifically, bucked teeth is not a race-specific phenomenon. However, gold teeth are usually a cultural fad or statement of fashion. Like tattoos, body piercing, etc., gold teeth are yet another means of using body image as a means of expression. The messages vary from individual to individual, i.e. some do it because everyone else is doing it, to express social status, popularity, attention, 'just like the look,' can afford it or want to appear gainful, the sexes like it, etc. Again, gold teeth are likely influenced by a need to be in an 'in' group, but usually it is an individual decision. Keep looking; not all blacks have bucked or gold teeth.

User Detail :  

Name : Dee, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, 

Janice20972
    Participant
    Take a good look at Asians. Notice anything? What about whites who wants to be like blacks? Don't you see them wearing gold teeth also? By the way, what neighborhood are you from, and how old are you? Ever heard of the hip-hop age? Check yourself!

User Detail :  

Name : Janice20972, Gender : F, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Sara
    I can't say for sure, but I would guess that the answer is more economic than racial. Orthodontic work is very expensive and usually not covered by insurance. White parents may be better able to afford braces for their children, while black parents are not. So, it would seem reasonable that you would see more blacks with buck teeth or gaps than whites, because they weren't able to afford to have those problems corrected.

User Detail :  

Name : Sara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 36, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tish24628
    Participant
    I urge you to examine white people's teeth as hard as you do 'black folks.' You will see those same imperfections, as well as others. Also, you may have only observed black people who have no interest in paying for expensive dental work and see their 'gaps' as signs of character (like the model Laura Hutton and Madonna do). The gold tooth thing is just a cultural thing, usually among lower-class black people. There is no explanation for it, other than they think gold teeth are cool (just like some people think pierced tongues are cool). And gold looks particularly attractive against darker skin.

User Detail :  

Name : Tish24628, Race : Black/African American, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Graduate Student, 

Seamus28225
    Participant
    It's pretty simple to figure out, bro. Many black people in this day and age are poorer than the average American. They don't have the resources to worry about if their teeth are straight or not. It's not only blacks, believe me. I live in a low-income area right outside of Boston that's close to 100 percent white, and I see some foul dental hygiene. I have been lucky, walking away with only an overbite that makes my bottom lip stick out kind of far. About the gold teeth: I think that because of their low-income status, people have a need to show off anything of value. Everyone's been taught that gold is the end-all be-all of precious metals. This, combined with the historical fondness black people have for gold, dating back to Africa, helps some blacks make gold a fashion statement, i.e. the ridiculous gold fronts on their teeth, or the pretty cool oversized gold chains some rappers wore in the '80s.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28225, Gender : M, Age : 20, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Social class : Lower class, 

Nicky
    Participant
    If someone can afford to have a perfectly healthy tooth destroyed and covered with gold, why can't they afford to have their teeth fixed? Bad dental health is not obviously a black thing. Look at a what is commonly referred to as "white trash." I've seen a lot of these women with horrible teeth and sculpted nails. Is it that their priorities are a little screwed up? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that they would waste all that money on making their hands pretty, but their teeth look terrible.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicky, Gender : F, Religion : Pagan, Age : 46, City : Ft Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

Kameelah
    First, even though you don't say 'all' black people, you still say 'a lot,' which to my point of view is a generalization. Now unless you have been all around the world to see every single black person, you are not well-informed enough to say 'a lot' of black people have buck teeth, gap teeth or both. This 'theory' that a lot of black people are fascinated with gold teeth is again another generalization. If you look around, you will see that 1.) not only blacks have gold teeth, there are a wide spectrum of people who do, and 2.) if you are referring to rappers, rappers are NOT a representation of all blacks, in the same way Eminem doesn't represent all white people.

User Detail :  

Name : Kameelah, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Muslim, Age : 15, City : Menlo Park, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

David
    Participant
    I am a third-year dental student. The school I attend is in North Philadelphia - a black and Hispanic area. Most of the patients who come to the school have poor dental hygiene. This includes whites, blacks, Asians, etc. Blacks do have 'gaps' (diastemas) more often than other people, but crooked teeth seem to be just as likely in all ethnic groups.

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 32, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Grad Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ava
    Participant
    Look, I want you to tell me what part of st. louis you stay in.That's a really ignorant question.I'm not racist but if anything I see a whole lot of white ppl with teeth issues.

User Detail :  

Name : Ava, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : STL, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : office assistant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

cheryl
    You are ignorant and your question doesn't even deserve a reply! A lot of other races have buck teeth and gaps. Maybe it's your surroundings - ever thought about of that?? As for the gold teeth, that is a St. Louis style of the 90's - the new millenium, just like bell bottom pants in the 70's, and body piercings now a days. All forms of self expression.

User Detail :  

Name : cheryl, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

iceman
    Participant
    my potna look at me strange, he mouf full of gold teef!

User Detail :  

Name : iceman, City : austin, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.