Big dumb friend and little grouchy friend

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jay31324
    Participant
    Have you ever noticed on TV that whenever you see two friends, one of them is usually optimistic, flaky, slow and big, and the other is usually pessimistic, fussy, quick and small? Some famous examples: Fred and Barney, Beavis and Butthead, and my favorite, the red and yellow M&M's. Why is this?

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31324, Gender : M, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, 

robyn
    This duo are a direct or indirect reference to the main characters in the Steinbeck novel 'Of Mice and Men' i.e. in vintage cartoons where you have a big bear and a little bear. Usually the big bear (or whatever it is) will say 'tell me about the rabbits, George' at some point.

User Detail :  

Name : robyn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : african-american/european-american, Age : 39, City : pasadena, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael
    Participant
    What you have described is a centuries-old comic element that in a way even goes back to the ancient Greek and Roman comedies. In the past 100 years in the United States,we have seen Fred and Barney, Abbott and Costello,Laurel and Hardy and yes, even Beavis and Butt-head, all of which fit this genre. I don't think it's based on anything stereotypical or prejudicial. It's just a comedic formula that makes most people laugh and an easily recogized symbol of comedy.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Age : 30, City : Manassas, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : History teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Greebo
    The contrast between 2 stereotypical extremes makes the pair's actions more amusing or memorable, that's all.

User Detail :  

Name : Greebo, Gender : F, Race : English mongrel, Religion : Pagan, Age : 35, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Jason
    Participant
    I'm not sure if vaudeville is the origin of that character pairing but it was a very popular combo. That carried over to films and television (Laurel & Hardee, Abbot & Costello) and has stayed with us since

User Detail :  

Name : Jason, Gender : M, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.