Been to Detroit and back…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

annonymous
    Participant
    Why is the negative image of Detroit so pervasive? Often when I tell folks I'm from Detroit, they immediately relate the horrible things they've heard about the city, and most of these folks have never been here. And those who have visited have often expressed verbally or through facial expressions such things as (paraphrased) "You live here on a beautiful tree-lined street with solid brick houses in a quiet neighborhood?" On one tour of the city, a friend said of Palmer Park, a neighborhood in the middle of the city, "There are homes (huge, grand) like these in the city?" When I tell folks about the cultural diversity, education/cultural community and the rich history this city has, they are amazed.

User Detail :  

Name : annonymous, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Andrew
    Participant
    Reputations always lag several years behind reality, and Detroit's current reputation is that of a bombed-out, Rust Belt hulk of a city. I think Cleveland's reputation is turning around only now, but changes have been apparent there for years. Some people are still afraid to come to New York, even though on a per capita basis it's safer than some suburbs. So don't sweat it. If Detroit's changed, people will figure it out sooner or later - but probably later.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.