Attitudes about Down Syndrome

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Melissa20776
    Participant
    What is the proper way to raise a child with Down Syndrome? And how do you treat a child with Down Syndrome?

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa20776, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : Swampscott, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Ronald-V29673
    Participant
    There is a Web site titled www.downsyndromeconnection.org that should give you some support.

User Detail :  

Name : Ronald-V29673, Gender : M, City : Edmonton, Alberta, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Julia27009
    Participant
    You treat a child with Down like you would any other child you care about. They react the same way to love and attention as anyone would. My little brother, who has Down, has always been treated the same as his brothers, and he interacts with them on the same level. What might complicate things is that very often when a child is born with Down Syndrome, there are accompanying medical conditions. There's a very high rate of heart problems, and in our case, kidney problems. I hesitate to say most of the time, but often, these problems do not interfere with the ability to live a productive life. The thought of caring for or interacting with a Down child can be very intimidating when it is something that isn't regularly part of your life. You will find that they are extremely affectionate, loving and social. You'll find that once you relax and accept it, it becomes very easy, just like caring for any other child. I would recommend visiting a special needs class, or getting in contact with a support group. I know that my family belonged to one for a couple years, called PODS (Parents of Down Syndrome children). They were incredible at the time we needed them. I wish you the best of luck, and I really hope that you find this a profoundly good experience. I always thought that everyone should be as lucky to know someone like my brother Patrick.

User Detail :  

Name : Julia27009, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Arlington, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Stacey L.
    Participant
    I am not a parent, but I have spent many years working and volunteering with kids and adults with all types of disabilities, including Down Syndrome. A child with Down Syndrome should be raised and treated in much the same way as any other child. It is important to take advantage of early intervention programs and therapy (physical, occupational, speech, etc.), and also to be involved in the child's education to make sure he or she is receiving the best possible experience. Aside from that, the child should be treated the same as his or her peers, as far as creating friendships and experiences.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey L., Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Durham, State : NH Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Whitney
    Participant
    The best way you know how. Have fun with your child, and try to raise him or her like you would any other. I would consult with the local school district and/or Head Start - they offer parenting classes and seminars, and services for children with disabilities and their parents. Learn how to advocate for your child, be demanding of your school and other service providers.

User Detail :  

Name : Whitney, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : n/a, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

michelle20545
    Participant
    I have a DS brother Matt. My advice would be to of course raise them like everyone else. But one thing, don't be afraid to push them, let them fail, feel awkward, make mistakes and have success. I see a lot of people with disabled kids want to protect them from the harshness of the world. And while it is a hard world, it is a world we all have to deal with and learn from. All of the experiences we go through are what gives us strength and knowledge to live a full life. Denying children this because they are disabled dosen't allow them to know what society is all about.

User Detail :  

Name : michelle20545, Age : 24, City : atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.