Asians with slanted eyes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Niklas
    Participant
    Why do Asians from the Far East have slanted eyes? There seems to be no reason for this.

User Detail :  

Name : Niklas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Evangelical Church of Scotland, Age : 25, City : Glasgow, Scotland, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

JD31140
    Participant
    I am not an ethnobiologist, but I advise you to take a look at your question. You might as well have asked: 'Why do white people NOT have slanted eyes?'

User Detail :  

Name : JD31140, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 
    Asian people's eyes look the way they do because of the Asian climate. It's very sunny there, or used to be, so they have a little extra fold of skin to act like a visor. It shields the sun from their eyes, it's like squinting i think.

User Detail :  

Name : Christopher, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 15, City : Augusta, State : ME Country : United States, Occupation : Freshman in HS, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Fiona F.
    Asian people who grew up with Asian people and live in Asian probably do not think they have slanty eyes. They probably think that Caucasians eyes have 'round' eyes. So, then the question becomes why do Caucasians have round eyes, there seems to no basis for this. Eyes are eyes. If an alien came to Earth and never saw a human before, it would not think that our eyes look any different from one another, it would just think that we all have the same visual sensory organs on our heads. It's because we are conditioned to think about our differences rather than our similarities that we (or you, I should say) are so concerned about tiny differences such as the shape of our eyes. It's just like asking why do Asian people have black hair, there seems to no basis for this. Or why do Aryans have blond hair, blue eyes, there seems to no basis for this.

User Detail :  

Name : Fiona F., Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 26, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary
    Participant
    One of my Japanese university students asked me just last week why I have blue eyes. Apparently he saw no reason for this. I told him it was because both my mother and father have blue eyes. I guess I would offer you the same reason. However, on a side note, the Japanese distinguish between people with double eyelids (which fold back like European eyes) and single eyelids (which fold up underneath so you can't see them when the eyes are open). This is instead of referring to eye color (since their eyes are all dark brown). Actually, nowadays among young people, single eyelids are less 'fashionable' or attractive. I think that's kind of sad ... I mean, what can you do to change it? I think they are all beautiful.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Kanazawa, State : NA Country : Japan, Occupation : English Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Catharine
    Look at an Asian person. He or she probably does not have slanted eyes. They do not have the fold that gives Europeans the crease in their eyelids. As a result, their eyes do not open as far. As far as why, a biology instructor many years ago told me that Asian people evolved on the steppes of Asia, which are very cold and dry, and their eyes developed in this way so that they would stay warm and moist. Of course, he also told me (a small-nosed Hawaiian Jew) that Jews have big noses because we evolved in the desert and need all that nose space to warm and moisturize the air we breathe, so go figure.

User Detail :  

Name : Catharine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Stage IV breast cancer, Race : Pacific Islander, Religion : Atheist, Age : 37, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristina
    They say it's because Asian people used to migrate through deserts and encountered a great deal of sandstorms. The shape of their eyes helped in preventing sand from getting into them.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.