Articulation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Patrick Wood
    Participant
    Is there a correlation between one's ability to articulate ideas and their social class? Also, do wealthier people tend to be more verbose?

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick Wood, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Augustine23403
    Participant
    I think there is a correlation, and it breaks down by gender as well. I have noticed that women from lower socio-economic classes tend to be quite articulate, whereas the men are not. It is almost as though talent with words is seen as a feminine trait in the lower classes. The more well-to-do classes are all over the place when it comes to effective use of words. There is the stereotypical 'inarticulate WASP', but I have found it more to be that wealthy people expect others to invest their words with great importance, whether in fact they are saying something important and intelligent or not. Also, some people who are 'just educated enough' (e.g., two years of college) use words like a sledgehammer, as though they will pound you into submission to their views with a superficially erudite discourse on this or that. Scratch the surface and what they are saying is often nonsense. Speaking nonsense, of course, is not the sole province of any socio-economic group.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23403, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrea K.
    Participant
    There are likely some differences between ethnic groups, but those who are better-educated do tend to have better vocabularies. Children in higher-class households are often asked their opinion more often. I believe the Kennedys were required to report about something that had happened in the news every night at dinner. Social scientists have watched mothers interacting with their young children and have noted quite a bit more describing going on with higher-class white women. I don't think you can go by wealth as much as by class, although there are some newly wealthy people who think that, because they have money, they have more right to talk. There are also some upper-class groups (Boston Brahmins, for example) who are traditionally terse.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrea K., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : Farmington, State : ME Country : United States, Occupation : teacher/musician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Monika
    Participant
    I don't think that articulation has anything to do with social class or ethnicity. I think it has more to do with the fact that most politicians will listen to rich white folks before they listen to poor ethnic folks anyday. Money talks before people do.

User Detail :  

Name : Monika, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Software Developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marcus
    Participant
    Okay maybe the case. I'm the product of an impoverished existence and have been for most of my upbringing, but my mother being a teacher at the time read to me all my life. She never 'baby talked' to me and I was treated as if I had a voice in family decisions. My vocabulary is superior to a plethora of people regardless of class or status and continues to grow daily (I'm a avid reader) I believe it to be the methods in which you raise your children, and understanding how each person learns differently from the next.

User Detail :  

Name : Marcus, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : World symbolism studies, Age : 25, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student/Artist, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower class, 

Chaz
    Their is a correlation and wealthy people do tend to be more verbose, but this is a result of the wealthy being able to afford and sending their children to the finest academic institutions.

User Detail :  

Name : Chaz, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 17, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Charles32247
    Participant
    I think that class has to do with intellectualism only so far as people a. Go to college and b. Enjoy learning. I went to a hoity-toity Ivy League school (on a ton of scholarships) and I do consider myself more articulate than a lot of people I meet. However, my family hasn't qualified as more than 'middle class' since the Civil War. Additionally, I met many people at my snooty ruling-class school who could barely communicate - and since getting out the most brilliant person I've ever met has been a woman with a University Studies degree cobbled together from three different state colleges.

User Detail :  

Name : Charles32247, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : Albuquerque, State : NM Country : United States, Occupation : Architect, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.