Are black women really ‘blessed’?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Fishy
    Participant
    I have noticed many African-American women will respond, 'I'm blessed,' when they are asked the obligatory greeting 'Hi, how are you?' Why is this? As a group, I think African-American women are one of the least blessed groups I can think of; they are discriminated against racially, and they have a disproportionate share of children in which the father is absent, just to name two disadvantages.

User Detail :  

Name : Fishy, City : Farmington Hills, State : MI Country : United States, 

Natasha20091
    Participant
    'I'm blessed' is a confession that is popular among black Christians (men and women). We believe that what you say is what you get. If someone asks, 'How are you?' and you reply with 'Oh, so-so' or 'Hangin' in there,' then that's just what you'll get, a life that's only 'so-so.' But if you say you're blessed, then you are confessing or declaring a much better state of existence for yourself. If someone asks, 'How's life?' and you say, 'It's all right,' then you limit yourself to just being 'all right,' but if you declare that you are blessed, then you are professing something far more positive. It's like positive thinking or positive affirmations. Also, even though black women may statistically have more problems than other groups, the individual women from whom you have heard this response may actually be living glorious lives. They may not be down-and-outers after all. Even though some black women are struggling single moms, others are highly educated, well-paid professionals and entrepreneurs, raising stable children in successful marriages. So if a black woman tells you she's blessed, just take her word for it. She's either truly blessed, or she's affirming her way to a blessed life.

User Detail :  

Name : Natasha20091, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : administrative assistant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Augustine23568
    Participant
    I'm not a black woman, but I have heard this among Southern blacks and have even said it once or twice myself when I felt comfortable with it. I think it's a beautiful affirmation of faith. One can be 'blessed' even under the adverse circumstances you mention. My personal spirituality (traditional Roman Catholicism) and the good fruit it generates in my everyday life is often more comprehensible to African Americans in my acquaintance than it is to white people.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23568, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 41, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer
    Participant
    The response 'I'm blessed', in response to 'How are you?' is indicative of Christian faith. The problems in some segments of the black community that you state as reasons that black women should not feel blessed don't necessarily affect every black woman you meet. Also, black people have faced racism long enough that its reality doesn't keep us from finding happiness and contentment in day-to-day life. Lastly, for many who have Jesus in their lives, the blessing of that relationship overshadows any tribulation they might face. Thus, they say they are blessed, no matter what the practical circumstances of their lives might be.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : St. Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Non-Profit, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KC-Tate26517
    Participant
    I'm a widow who works hard and struggles to pay the bills and take care of my family. I know I'm blessed because my situation could be far worse. I know I'll be blessed because I have faith that He will bestow His generous blessings upon me. How am I doing? I'm truly blessed indeed!

User Detail :  

Name : KC-Tate26517, Race : Black/African American, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

alex
    Participant
    mayeb a woman (doesnt matter her ethnicity)who has 10 kids believes she IS blessed because of her children...so whats wrong with that?

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.