Are all Asians racist?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Revan K.
    Participant
    Do Asians glorify white people and hate black people?

User Detail :  

Name : Revan K., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Victorville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

nicole
    Participant
    YOU KNOW U HAVE A POINT THERE

User Detail :  

Name : nicole, City : waukegan, State : IL Country : United States, 

Bill-Wheless19556
    Participant
    'Are all Asians racist? What a racist thing to ask! You, by the very framing of your question, are lumping all the people of one race into one group.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill-Wheless19556, City : Louisburg, State : NC Country : United States, 

Christine19534
    Participant
    I think that's strange because I live with an Asian roommate in college, Chinese to be sure, and I haven't seen or heard any negativity that would make me feel like she glorifies whites or hates blacks. Her parents have also been up here and they are very kind and thoughtful. They actually tell her to share her food with her roommate and such...they care, I think. And with this whole glorification thing...I belive anyone who isn't white subliminally glorifies white and /or white ideals. Not that we do it purposely , but it is a 'brain-washing' kind of thing. In other words, unless someone mentions it or points it out, you just can't see it.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine19534, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Hartford, State : CT Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Benjamin
    Participant
    From my travels in Cambodia and Thailand, I wouldn't say that Asians hate black people. However, they do prize white skin. They think it's crazy that whites go to tanning salons to darken their skin. Asians idolize what they don't have and Americans work to change their skin. We're really no different.

User Detail :  

Name : Benjamin, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 20, City : Bolivar, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lily
    Participant
    I work as an English teacher in South Korea. I have encountered some discrimination here. I have blond hair and blue eyes, while my husband has black hair and hazel eyes. We have noticed that I and my other blond colleagues generally have our pictures taken more often than my husband. When it comes to cell phones, we have to prepay rather than pay monthly. We had trouble with a cable company that refused to rent a cable box to us because we were foreigners. I've heard of people not being allowed into saunas and night clubs because of their race/physical appearance. (This is sometimes understandable since many of the foreigners here do not behave appropriately.) On the other hand, being a foreigner here comes with a lot of advantages. It is easier to get a job as a teacher and many people are very interested in us. (Korean-Americans actually encounter discrimination when looking for a job as English teachers.) As for Africans here, they are few and far between. I worked with one African American woman here and she did not report any outright racist behavior. However I have heard stories of others being discriminated against. In a fairly homogenous society, racial sensitivity is difficult to learn. It's interesting. On one hand many young people in the culture imitate African Americans in dress, music, hairstyle, and mannerisms. However, on the other hand the population sometimes seems to look down on it. I guess the same thing happens in the States.

User Detail :  

Name : Lily, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Seoul, State : na Country : South Korea, Occupation : teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Peter
    Participant
    Well, there are many asians in my classes and I never noticed any racism among asians against us, but i do notice they tend to stick to their own and isolate themselves from the rest of the university social scene probably more than any other group. From that isolation and the nonexistent social interaction between both groups i can imagine stereotypes easily forming and being reinforced by other members of both groups

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ben S.
    Participant
    I don't know about 'glorify' white people but my experience of having had a few Asian partners and many friends is that some do have a thing about prizing lighter skin and ergo, other Asians with darker skin are frowned on. It has me quite puzzled, as I admire the darker guys generally ! I remain rather surprised also that in Malaysia and Singapore, the attitude of the Chinese to the former British colonial masters is quite positive. If it were me, I would have a rather more negative view . . . I have also heard a few racist comments by Asians made about black people, usually about skin smell. Nothing more than that, but there it is.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 35, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : corrections officer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

S.F.
    Participant
    My parents are Chinese, and they live in the US. My dad seems to hate black people, he seems to think they are inferior. But he also thinks that white people are sneaky, yet good at business, all the stereotypes. So I think my dad really is just following general American stereotypes he picked up living here. My grandfather is horrified of black people whenever he comes to visit the US (he's from Macau, a part of China), and say things about them that even I find offensive. I don't know how he'd know, seeing as there aren't any black people in Macau, so my assumption is that his views must be from watching movies and other exported American cultural artifacts. The other part might be that the black people we saw were mostly the 'young black men in baggy clothes idly standing on street corners' variety, because of where I live, and not nicely-dressed black families or anything.I don't think Asians glorify white folks either. My family is racist against white folks too, but differently--it's more poking fun at the 'stupid' ways of white people, than being afraid of getting mugged or shot.

User Detail :  

Name : S.F., Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 22, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

ICY
    Participant
    No...We are no more or less racist that any other group of people

User Detail :  

Name : ICY, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 29, City : Chi-Town, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jay28567
    Participant
    Yes and No. I lived in Japan for 5 years and at first I found the Japanese to be racist. Then I realized that it was mainly ignorance. Japan has 1% immigration so they do not have much contact with other cultures beyond tourists. Specifically the Japanese also secluded themselves from the rest of the world for nearly 200 years from the 1600s to the 1800s, which influenced the general social psyche of the population. The Japanese definately glorify the whites. Its a weird spill over from WW2. We nuked them, then came in and rebuilt their culture....they have a inferiority complex now because of this. Plus their culture is very controlled and they envy the 'white' freedom of expression and do what you want attitude. In regards to Asians in America. I know that a lot of asians dont really like blacks, or do not see blacks as equals, and I would say that it is true. The first wave of Asians came to America with next to nothing during the gold rush. No they were not forced to come like blacks as slaves, but they were not rich either. They then worked their fingers to the bones, pushed their children to succeed and get good marks etc etc. They also received just as much racism as blacks. They now occupy their current social position due to their hard labour. They see themselves as superior to blacks because they feel that they have achieved their position as opposed to being handed-it to them by the government through equal opportunity employment and other similar affirmative action, when both races came from such a low starting position. This may or may not justify their feelings, but I believe thats where it comes from. It is understandable in a way.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay28567, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Kiel, State : NA Country : Germany, Occupation : English Teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.