Are African Americans more religious?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Rick29799
    Participant
    It seems that African Americans are more religious than other ethnic groups in the United States. If this is accurate, what accounts for it?

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29799, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristina
    You are confusing religion with piety. It is true that more blacks are part of an organized religion, but when it comes to practicing it, they are just like everyone else. Just because a black person (or anyone else) says they are a Christian doesn't mean that they are church-goers, and follow every single thing in that religion. Now to answer the question as to why more blacks are associated with an organized religion is simple. For African Americans, Christianity (and to later on Islam) gave them hope despite the segregation, racism, and oppression they had to encounter. It was the only time they could for once be promised a good life, and maybe see the ones doing them wrong (white people) suffer for their sins. It may have also stemmed too from their previous African culture, because Africans have more of an affinity with the supernatural.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kerry
    I think the African/American groups are more likely to be seen in the media using religious statements to justify their beliefs and/or actions. There are plenty of white folks (and I'm sure Asian, and Indian, etc) out there who are just as religious to balance this equation, so I don't think it's a question of how devout the communities are, more a difference of style. In my life, divinity plays a far more important role than I had ever thought it could, but it doesn't show to the outside world.

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 32, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Stagehand, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Monika20328
    Participant
    Blacks are more religious and I think that may be due to our history (slavery, civil rights, etc.). Sometimes, God is all we have. However, I think the Mexican/Hispanic population will top us in the religion category if they haven't already.

User Detail :  

Name : Monika20328, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, 

Susan
    Participant
    they're not. it's mostly a front. you get these rappers talking about running with gangs and glorifying murder and when they get an award for these 'songs' they always thank god. that's total bull. the black community wants to believe it so do they do.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 22, City : Parma, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

jv
    Participant
    Rick- I find it interesting that someone else would notice this too, particularly a white person. I have thought many times (and even been through the experience) of black people not being afraid or ashamed to talk about being Christians. Usually they are very proud of their faith in God/ and or Jesus Christ. I must say I have talked to a middle-aged black woman to a tough-looking dude on the bus to work about faith in the Lord. It was refreshing, because it was one point that strangers at that, could share the same feelings, and both of us totally different from each other. It's really kind of interesting, because they say one should not discuss politics or religion, but this is one point that black Christians and white Christians share...and usually agree. In this day and age when one has to be careful about how you talk about God or religion, it is neat that this is a good topic for blacks and whites to discuss (God/Jesus Christ.)

User Detail :  

Name : jv, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Receptionist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kelly R.
    I think we are very religious. And I believe that it is an offset of the whole slavery thing (you'd be surprised how much the slavery age shaped our culture). Working in the fields, and even just as maids and field hands after slavery had been abolished, Black people needed to know that there was a reason for everything, that some day things would be better. That sense of hope was found in Jesus. And this devotion to the man upstairs who we believe gives us the strength to pull forward despite everything else, is simply passed on from generation to generation.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : university instructor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary
    Participant
    Suffering. Our faith has been tested more than whites. As you know, blacks have been through very difficult periods in history. But throughout all the suffering and pain, we still found the strength and courage to sing and praise God's name.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Jones, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.