Anti-immigration fervor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dan
    Participant
    I'm a born-and-bred Californian, and also a Latino. I notice that a lot of Anglos in California and the Southwest seem to have an illegal immigrant fixation. Don't they realize that the majority of Latinos were either born here or are legal immigrants? Don't they also realize that when they go off about "the invasion from south of the border" they alienate every American Latino in the process? Any insight is much appreciated.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Steve B.
    Participant
    It's been reported that a significant percentage of Hispanics who are American citizens, such as youself, do not favor illegal immigration. And believe it or not, most native-born Hispanics also don't favor bilingual education. Even a lot of illegal aliens want their children to learn and be taught English in school so they will have a better chance of succeeding in the United States. Having previously lived in San Antonio for 16 years and being married to a part-Hispanic woman for 13 years, I can attest to this. Virtually all of my Hispanic friends and in-laws have a big problem with illegal immigration but not a problem with immigration through legal means. You don't hear about this sort of thing in the mainstream media because it's not politically correct news. I'm sorry you feel alienated, but in my experience, you are in the minority in feeling that way.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Warrensburg, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rita-C29687
    Participant
    I think what Dan is saying is that Hispanics who are American citizens are being lumped together with all other Hispanics legal or not. It seems to me that most Anglos believe we all just crossed the border, I have been called a Mexican all of my life even though I was born in the United States as were my parents and grandparents, and yet, we are made to feel as though we are taking from the system. Every other race has main streamed into America and are Americans. We on the other hand seem to be forever labeled as Mexicans and our citizenship does not seem to matter to most caucasians. As for Illegal Immigration, hispanics are not the only Illegal aliens in the United States and you do what you have to do to survive. I as an American born hispanic favor bilingual education it is part of our heritage and would love to see all hispanic children involved whether they are American born or not.

User Detail :  

Name : Rita-C29687, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 43, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicholas F.
    Participant
    It occurs to me that this term 'illegal' does have a meaning in the english language. While I don't have a problem with immigration, both my wife and my mother are immigrants, I do have a problem with criminals. Please don't buy into the 'politically correct' bullshit the media and your so called 'community leaders' are giving you. I know a lot of hispanics that are very responsible Americans who don't buy into it and will give you the FACTS on the issues you're talking about. Problem is they can't get anyone to pay attention to them. If you want to solve the problem, then listen to the people who already have, instead of the people who want you to be pissed off at someone so you can help them with their agenda.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicholas F., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Human, Religion : Catholic, Age : 38, City : Panorama City, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Network Engineer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jim
    Participant
    Americans get upset about the flood of illegals because it is causing a deterioration of life as we know it. Schools, hospitals are overburdened and some of our cities have been taken over. Citizens who are Hispanic should be just as enraged and I wonder why they line up on the side of illegal immigration instead of the side of their country.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 55, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.