Animal rights people

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Lynne H.
    Participant
    The main stereotype that bugs me is that of animal rights people. I'm a vegetarian and love animals, but I am not throwing paint on anyone or their coats. I wouldn't want anyone to throw paint on me. I don't push my beliefs on anyone, yet there are stereotypes about people within the animal rights community. Why?

User Detail :  

Name : Lynne H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Olathe, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : Library employee, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Al
    Participant
    I too, like animals, and enjoy pets. However, certain fur-bearing animals have been harvested for centuries to provide warm clothing for humans, which cannot be successfully duplicated by synthetic fibres. As well, the animal populations were always in harmony and balance with the ecology existant in those particular regions. Ask any cod fisherman what has happened to his fish? - The answer is that too many seals have caused over-consumption of the stocks, leaving nothing for humans. The same is true, more or less, in every single case where so-called animal rights activists have stifled or stopped trade. These folks are probably well-meaning, but I think that their ignorance has created more strife and hardship for certain peoples than the supposed destruction of innocent animals. Then too, if you are a believer in Creation, God made the animals to serve MAN's needs - not the other way around. The mass hysteria caused by some of these advocates of animal rights, is more to be feared than anything else.

User Detail :  

Name : Al, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Ottawa (Ontario), State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : audio engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Robin
    This stereotype exists because the general population only really sees vegetarians or animal rights activists that do extreme things and draw attention to their beliefs. By definition, if you are an animal rights person who does not share your beliefs with others, you are not as visible. The best way to combat this is to let people know about your beliefs on animal rights without trying to convert them. Make them walk away thinking, 'My, what an intelligent and friendly person! I didn't know people like that supported animal rights!'

User Detail :  

Name : Robin, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Tempe, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan
    Participant
    If a person got all of his information about the outside world from the media, he would think that most Christians are Jerry Fallwell devotees who shoot abortion doctors and burn Harry Potter books, he'd think that all gothic people are fatalistic trenchcoat-wearing potential mass murderers, and he'd think that all vegans/vegetarians are people who go around breaking into laboratories and lobbing tofu bombs at McDonalds' patrons. Basically, the media thrives on sensationalism, and it uses the juciest stereotypes, rumors, and misconceptions to fuel their stories. A person from Kirkland, MO, would get virtually all his information from the media, and then a person from Santa Monica or Berkley, CA, would probably get his info from those that he knows personally.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

TR24807
    Participant
    Stereotypes exist because some people in the animal rights community are trying to push their beliefs on others. They tend to attract a lot of attention, and so people assume that all animal rights people are like that. It's not fair, but it's life.

User Detail :  

Name : TR24807, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 17, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

J21163
    Participant
    I think a lot of the problem in that situation, is that there are (in any group) going to be extremists about everything. A lot of that, in my opinion, comes from a lack of true identity, so they feel that they have to act very outlandishly to prove to the rest of the world they are who they are. You are comfortable with who and what you are, and you know that you don't have to go around and make the world stare at you and all your vegetarian wonder so that you feel in place. Sadly others, in fact most, are not like that and ruin it for people like you

User Detail :  

Name : J21163, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : Nunya, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.