An O.J. question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Donna25611
    Participant
    African-American people are not happy that O.J. murdered Nicole and Ron, nor are we happy he won the case; we are happy that an African American finally got away with murder the way white people have in this country for centuries. African Americans have been lynched, bombed, gunned down, etc. by white people, and more often than not a jury has acquitted the murderer. So when O.J. was found not guilty, African Americans were happy to say to white people that turnabout is fair play. White people have been getting away with killing African Americans, so why can't an African American get away with killing a white person for a change? It's just that simple.

User Detail :  

Name : Donna25611, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, 

Pat-C
    Participant
    Are black people happy that O.J. Simpson was acquitted only, I believe, because he was black?

User Detail :  

Name : Pat-C, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Carmela
    Participant
    Honey, I don't think all black people have the same opinion on the O.J. case, so please don't refer to blacks in such a general, sweeping statement. I am black. I am not 'happy' that O.J. did not go to jail for murder. I have no respect for the man, for reasons that have not much at all to do with the murder case. People who look like me have been targeted by the justice system, and that is why so many black men are in jail. I think blacks are glad to see a person who was not proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt NOT go to jail, for a change. Just because I think you are guilty is no reason for you to go to jail. All the jurors were not black, but they all agreed. That is how the justice system is supposed to work. I don't know if O.J. really did it or not, but I do know that the justice system doesn't generally work right for blacks. In this society, black men are eight times more likely to be convicted of a crime than whites. Also, blacks are generally sentenced to longer sentences than whites.

But my point is that some blacks were happy he got off because they couldn't prove he was guilty, and lots of times that is not enough to keep a black man out of jail. Justice was served. The law did its part. I feel that some whites are mad because they think he should have gone to jail. But the fact remains that he was not found guilty of a crime. I guess we are happy because justice was served for a black man, and that doesn't often happen in this country (see hangings, draggings and shootings because someone thought a black man was guilty. There are many books, photos and statistics on these topics, past and present). Also, I might add that blacks are not happy that two people died, at least not the blacks I know.

User Detail :  

Name : Carmela, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : College Administrator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    It's important for white people who don't already understand to know that black people are not a monolithic entity. We don't all share the same opinions, convictions and thoughts. We are as diverse as white people would like to have us believe they are. I, for one, didn't celebrate when O.J. was found guilty. I, for one, think he's guilty as sin. However, I'm cautious about saying that around white people, because I'm more irritated by the level of indignation I've seen among some of them than I am about the fact that he was found not guilty. People, especially those with money, have been getting away with murder long before this O.J. travesty, but I've never seen the level of indignation among whites that I've seen when the perpetrator was a black man and the victims white. I feel equal disgust for those blacks I saw on television jumping up and down like idiots as I do for the white people I've met who expect me to speak for monolithic blackness to explain them. I feel equal disgust for black people who don't realize that O.J. hasn't been interested in us since he made his first million, fled the inner city and never looked back, as I do for white people who never would've gotten so heated up over this had both victims been black, or O.J. white.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mandi
    Participant
    I have nothing to say about whether or not 'blacks are happy' about O.J.'s acquittal because to think that we all have one view is utterly ridiculous. But,for the record, I want to say two things 1)most people could not have cared less what happened to O.J. It was just one those media-hyped things that ends up being a topic of lunchtime conversation because you're bombarded with it through mass media. Kind of like JonBenet Ramsey. 2)O.J. did not get acquitted because he was black. Have you honestly ever heard of such a thing? He was acquitted because he was rich, famous, and therefore powerful.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dwan W.
    Participant
    Most people may not admit it, but that is probably true. Personally, I feel that he didn't do it or if he did, he didn't act alone. Secondly, if he actually is guilty, the black collective subconsciously looks at it as some what of a payback. This is because for years and years whites have slaughtered blacks with no reprcussions. I remember in my African philosophy class when we were reminded of the lynching period in American history when whites had picnics (and for those of you that don't know what that word is about, it was when whites used to 'pic a nigger' on Sunday to be hung and castrated in front of the courthouse lawn as a weekly event just for the fun of killing a Black person.) They would actaully bring their kids out to see this and take home some body parts of the Blacks as souveneirs. These were brutal crimes against blacks. So getting back to the question, I think that most Black see it as O.J. getting away with what whites have gotten away with for years. Alot of Blacks don't even like O.J. and some don't even consider him apart of the Black community, but through him we probably feel sense of victory, or least we find an innerpersonal peace knowing that whites will be able to identify with the hurt that Black people have harbored for centuries do to injustice. This being one case whereas there are millions of account against Blacks.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwan W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
    I'm a black male who got no joy when O.J. beat that charge, nor do I get any joy now knowing he is free. And I do believe the jury came up with the correct verdict, though I feel he is guilty. It's called reasonable doubt, considering all the mistakes with handling of evidence and examination of DNA, coupled with the fact the defense successfully painted the prosecution's star witness, the first detective on the scene, as a racist. I found it ironic that so many people seemed shocked and dismayed that the justice system failed, when many blacks for so many years have been screaming that it is flawed (see the first Rodney King beating trial, which probably didn't upset some people as much as O.J. walking seemed to have.) You finally noticed the justice system sometimes fails, I wonder why you don't notice on other days.

User Detail :  

Name : Issac Bailey, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : Myrtle Beach, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan27182
    Participant
    O.J. Simpson did not get off because of his race. If he was just some no-name from Watts, I can virtually guarantee he'd be sitting on death row right this very minute. As it is, Simpson is one of the greatest NFL legends of all time, which means he has/had millions of dollars and could afford the best lawyers money could buy. The race card was just one of several dozen dirty tricks the 'dream team' used. The prosecution team was hopelessly outclassed by celebrity lawyers such as Johnny Cochrane and F. Lee Bailey, and the judge showed no spine throughout the entire trial. Although the race card was the most prominent and controversial of the dirty tricks used, it was by far one among many. I firmly believe this case is far more about $$$ than race.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27182, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 21, City : L.A. area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Bob
    At least we didnt Riot.

User Detail :  

Name : Bob, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

DaThick1
    Participant
    Were White people happy when the L.A. police officers were acquitted of the Rodney King beating? How about this one: Were White people happy when N.Y. police officers were acquitted in the Amadou Diallo beating? I think comedian Chris Rock best summed up what Black America was thinking when he said that he wishes that Whites would stop thinking that we had some sort of rejoicing session when O.J. was acquitted. O.J. Simpson has not done anything remotely significant for Black America and he has longed disassociated himself from the culture, in general. In other words, his acquittal hasn't enhanced my well-being one iota.

User Detail :  

Name : DaThick1, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Gene
    Do you really believe that 'black people' (as in all) are happy that O.J. was acquitted ? No, all black people are not happy with O.J's acquittal. However, probably a very large percentage do feel a sense a of vindication and poetic justice. You see, the same (very) destructive force that contributes to African Americans' constant uphill battle for fairness and equality is the same force responsible for O.J.'s acquittal. This force manifested itself in the name of Mark Furman. After Furman's blatant lies, the trial became a public and undeniable display of what African Americans have been saying for years: The criminal justice system does not work for us. O.J. was found not guilty due to the exposure of bigotry, in the name of Mark Furman; this expousure pretty much addressed the 'guilty beyond a reasonable doubt' requirement. African Americans celebrated this expousure and the jury having the balls to deliver a verdict based on the testimony and evidence collected by the likes of Mark Furman.

User Detail :  

Name : Gene, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Insurance, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Dan-Richardson
    Participant
    I find it absolutely disgusting that any individual would condone the act of murder. It is true that white people have, in the past, gotten away with murdering black people. That fact is no reason for black people to get away with murdering white people. Nobody should be getting away with murdering anyone! Murder is wrong, and anyone committing that crime should be held accountable. That is how simple it is.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan-Richardson, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 25, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gregory-H
    Participant
    Keep in mind that the standard for a criminal prosecution is guilt 'beyond a reasonable doubt.' It is not 'substantial certainty' of guilt or any other lesser standard. So the theory goes, if the prosecution cannot prove the guilt of the accused beyond a reasonable doubt, he goes free. The reason many black people were happy that O.J. was acquitted is that very often black men are convicted even though their guilt is not proven beyond a mere conjecture - a theory of the prosecution's. Add to that the increasingly Draconian sentences given to non-violent criminal offenders (in New York, possession of 4.5 oz. of coke, or possession with intent to sell of 2.5 oz. , gets you LIFE, no parole), increased enforcement in minority neighborhoods, and this country's history of violence against blacks (lynchings, bombings, rapes, assaults, etc.) going unpunished, except perhaps in a kangaroo court, and it finally gives others a chance to experience the bad taste left in your mouth when something like that happens. Yet, the O.J. trial wasn't even close to a perfect analogy - there are countless cases in which white murderers of blacks admitted prior to trial that they committed the act, but were cursorily 'tried' by a white prosecutor and acquitted by an all-white jury. Look at the Medgar Evers case and the case of the Birmingham bombers as examples.

User Detail :  

Name : Gregory-H, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : law student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Netta F.
    Participant
    No all of us weren't happy he got off because he was black. Us Black people were watching the very intelligent Johnny Cochran play the white man and beat him at his own game, truthfully. No insult intended.

User Detail :  

Name : Netta F., Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : cosmetologist, 

JAMARA
    Regarding the OJ Simpson case, it WAS a matter of a 'black' man beating a system that normally beats them, but for me, I was just happy that he killed a whitegirl and got away with it. So it was really a win-win situation. If he went to jail, it was cool because he deserves to be locked up as punishment for dumping his black wife and marrying that whitegirl, and the fact that he got off was cool, cuz he killed a whitegirl and got off. So, hey, what's the big deal? Remember Emmet Till? And countless others? Quid Pro Quo!

User Detail :  

Name : JAMARA, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : hampton, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : exec asst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.