Americans vs. Europeans

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

D.T.
    Why do people in the United States view aspects like drinking and sexuality differently than European countries seem to?

User Detail :  

Name : D.T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Salem, State : NH Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Alex J.
    Participant
    There are several factors, the foremost being American tradition, namely, Puritan roots. The Puritans were the original Americans and so set the standards for accepted behavior, especially in regard to sexuality and alcohol. Both of these became ways to rebel against that mindset, and so America has always been facinated by, and expressed strong opinions on, both. The 'usual' seems to be we're facinated by sex but won't talk about it, encourage drinking by almost everyone but condemn drunkenness. I submit, as further examples, the sheer number of sexually enticing ads and at the same time the large number of sexual harrassment suits (not unwarranted). On the other hand, when I was in Europe this summer, although able to drink, I felt no particularly strong inclination to do so. Europe has accepted sex and alcohol as an ordinary part of life.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex J., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 17, City : Elkins Park, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : High School student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Kent
    The real explanation may lie in the fundamentalist, literal interpretation of 'Biblical' Christians - so common in the United States, so uncommon outside it. But there are cultural things: wine in southern Europe accompanies food, and children drink small amounts of wine from an early age. Spirits (whiskey, vodka, etc.) are not used by many people. In Europe, 18 is the age of adulthood in law, and of universal access to places where alcohol is served. If you mean that Europeans seem to accept premarital and extramarital sex, you are right. Acceptance is there, but many people do not do it, preferring to remain faithful.

User Detail :  

Name : Kent, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 57, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Scott-M
    Participant
    Puritanism. But it does beg the question, Why is Western Europe so sexually liberal, while so many others (e.g. Chinese, Indian, American, Arabic) remain conservative?

User Detail :  

Name : Scott-M, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 24, City : Humacao, Puerto Rico, State : NA Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lisa
    Foucalt wrote a great book called A History of Sexuality. His thesis is that Americans are obsessed with the DISCOURSE of sexuality. He then takes us through Puritanical times, the Victorian era and all the way to MTV videos today. It makes sense; the Dominatrix and Born-agains have one thing in common; whether they approve or not, Americans like to talk about having sex AND about NOT having sex. Our media is far more saturated with sexual imagery than the European one and ironically, our cultural values are far more stringent (repressive, some would say) regarding sexual practice. I think other cultures treat sex as a healthy, normal part of life. In the States we have lifted the discourse to some obscene pedestal where we examine it from all angles. I think the European model falls more in line with Nike, i.e. 'Just do it.' I believe the same applies to eating in the United States. Europeans just eat, they stay relatively thin, relatively healthy. We obsess with food and sprout obesity and anorexia like it's going out of style. I also think, to some degree, the same goes for drinking; some moral judgment has been placed on it so it can be lifted to the same ugly pedestal that sex lies upon. Sometimes I think for a nation riddled with therapy and wealth, Americans are seriously out of touch with themselves, with their basic normal functions, even with their own bodies. It's a weird twist.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Ben S.
    Participant
    In Australia we get an interesting perspective on the differences between Europe and America via local television. One station, the SBS- Special Broadcasting Service- broadcasts European series and movies. On these shows, you get pretty frank depictions of sex, including actual depictions of sexual activity and various fetishes, some of them quite extreme, such as bestiality and sexual violence. Ditto for drug and alcohol use. These goings on are treated with a 'gallic shrug' by the presenters and actors, and I guess ,the audience. Compare that with an American show- called 'Sex in the City' I think ?- which seems to feature three neurotic people who do nothing but talk about sex loudly and annoyingly for the duration, totally de-eroticising every pecadillo they discuss . . . but they never seem to actually get around to just doing it.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Public servant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sara28316
    Participant
    From what I know, European countries have laws that are far different from our laws. For example, in the United States the legal drinking age is 21. I don't think most European countries have a legal drinking age. It is more acceptable. The entire family can drink wine at dinner. I hear that there are more social problems with drinking (drinking & driving, alcoholism) here than in European. Personally, I think that having a legal drinking age is silly, but it already is established. As for sexuality, it seems to me that European countries accept sexual content in media more, allowing an atmosphere in which people can discuss sexuality openly. All these things about European culture I only hea, and I don't want to generalize about all European countries. If anyone knows more, write right away, because if what I hear is correct, I am in the wrong country.

User Detail :  

Name : Sara28316, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.