American vs. Caribbean blacks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

J.G.
    I am a European woman living in New York. Why is it that Caribbean blacks are, on first contact, friendly and open with me, while American blacks are often distrustful?

User Detail :  

Name : J.G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Staten Island, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

K26968
    Participant
    One word: History. At the risk of offending my island brothers and sisters, recently arrived blacks have enjoyed the benefits of modern-day civil rights without enduring the decades of abuse and blood sacrifice required to earn those rights (Hey, I'd be smiling, too!). American blacks have maintained a belief that opening up to whites can be downright deadly - a belief supported by countless acts of treachery perpetrated by whites. Moreover, since today's whites no longer enjoy the power of life and death over blacks, we don't have to kiss up in order to survive - so most of us elect not to. Despite all its inequities, today's America is truly a land of opportunity. But you couldn't give me a million dollars to live here in 1940. Secondly, why do some white people expect all black people to act as a monolith? We are not all the same. I'm sure that some of the differences you've observed are simply cultural. I certainly don't expect you to have everything in common with an Icelander, simply because your skin color is the same. Thirdly, I've observed that some whites tend to treat foreign-born blacks with much more respect than they do plain 'ole American blacks. Don't think that the new arrivals don't realize this. They are aware that they are considered 'one step above' and react to whites accordingly. Remember the Minnie Minoso quote: 'Same color, no same kind'?

User Detail :  

Name : K26968, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Marketing, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer-R31041
    Participant
    Are you European as in French or English or Italian National, or are you a descendant of European stock who has lived in the United States all your life? If you are foreign-born and raised, I can understand somewhat why you'd be confused by these reactions. Therefore, I'll answer with the assumption that you are. You'll probably find plenty of friendly American blacks if you look in the right places, or maybe the people you feel are rude to you are just reserved, and don't tend to be as boisterous upon first meeting someone new. American blacks are often accused of being sullen, and while that may be true in some cases, I also find many of us to be reserved rather than unfriendly upon first meeting. Why the reservation? Well, considering black and white American history in this country, lots of us just don't like each other. Lots of us would prefer not to deal with the other ethnicity at all. Lots of us, black and white, consider the other suspect until we get to know each other well. We just might not put ourselves out to be emotionally available until we feel that it's worth it. Maybe the black people who simply are skeptical about you at first glance would loosen up a little if they knew you were European, given the fact that Europe has the reputation among many blacks as being more egalitarian in terms of race. From what I've experienced, many Caribbeans don't like American blacks, either. They don't have the history with you that we do with European-Americans, and often can't understand the attitude that many of us have against white people in general. This is just my take on things, of course. __________________________

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer-R31041, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : St. Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Mickey M.
    Participant
    This may come off as racist, and it probably is, but when the housing project I grew up in was integrated with blacks, Jamaicans, Latinos and Asians, I too found the black people of Jamaican descent more hard-working and trustworthy, and all in all, better neighbors. American blacks have developed an us vs. them syndrome when it comes to whites that severly limits them in their rush to the mainstream. I think many of their own behaviors is what turns people, white and otherwise, off to them. However, my perception may be biased because Charlestown has been historically insular, espically towards blacks, and they may have reacted because of the history.

User Detail :  

Name : Mickey M., Gender : M, Religion : Catholic, Age : 18, City : Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Longshoreman, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

DaThick1
    Participant
    Caribbean blacks are 'nicer' to you because you are a tourist and they are strictly out for the hustle. They want your money because there are no 'real' jobs, per se, in these environments. Oh, and before you go and think that they are SO much nicer to you than American blacks, please note: They charge white people 2-3 times MORE for their products and services than they do American blacks. So there - swallow that one up.

User Detail :  

Name : DaThick1, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Mandi
    Participant
    As an 'American black' Southerner recently transplated to New York for school, I am unaccustomed to the idea of different ethnicities of black in America (there aren't such large populations of non-African-American blacks in the South). I have notcied that different groups tend to have different views of the ways that blacks should carry themselves, but I haven't noticed that those ideas extend to politness. My first reaction to the question was: how can you tell what they are? Since I've been here, most of the blacks I thought I met as African-Americans have actually been Caribbean-American. Unless they still have an accent, I can't imagine in what context you would know this; but perhaps that particular context has something to do with how you are treated. People react differently in different circumstances. And if they do have an accent, maybe they haven't been in New York long enough to know that all New Yorkers, of any race, ethnicity or creed, are supposed to be rude. It's their trademark.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave
    Participant
    To DaThick1: Thanks for the tip. As a white person, from now on I'll make it a point to avoid business dealings with Caribbean Blacks to prevent being over charged.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : European American, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nell
    Participant
    J.G., please do not take the reaction of African Americans personally. Our response/reaction to people with a white complexion has been forged over the centuries due to our mistreatment by those who share your skin color. Because of all the hurt, pain and disappointments African Americans have experienced in this country, we have developed a psychological coping skill that is similar to a person who has been bitten by a dog: until you are sure the dog is friendly, don't pet it.

User Detail :  

Name : Nell, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 34, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : educator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Labrish
    Very interesting observation...I am of Caribbean background myself. I wouldn't judge and assume that all are like that though. It is just your experiences. But there is one thing I can say, that is that people on the island tend to give a more friendly atmosphere, because that is how their culture is. I am not saying that all Caribbena people are truly nice, but they are generally taught to be hospitable towards people in general. I have family from there so it is true. NYC is more of a fast pace environment, and people tend to have rushed, hectic lives. That may tend to come off snobbish. It all really depends on your environment and where you come from. Not all African Americans are rude. Do you know that people say that Europeans are rude as well? You cannot make assumptions towards a whole group and label them. People are individuals and therefore have different personalities. You have to get to know a person for who they really are.

User Detail :  

Name : Labrish, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Oswego, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alea29005
    Participant
    Does the difference really matter? Whites are still hateful to black people, period. Does it matter if we are nice when first meeting you? I mean, really? To answer your question, American blacks have a problem getting along with EVERYONE. Especially themselves. Believe me.

User Detail :  

Name : Alea29005, Gender : F, Race : Caribbean black, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.