African Americans superior in sports?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Emily25367
    Participant
    I see African Americans dominating sports like the NBA, heavyweight boxing and running. In the NBA you hardly see any diversity. Some people point out that many African Americans living in poor neighborhoods and facing discrimination in academics do better in sports. Some wish to come out of poverty and are more determined through sports. But this makes no sense to me. There are many Hispanics living in impoverished conditions but there aren't many Hispanics in the NBA. Is this black domination genetic?

User Detail :  

Name : Emily25367, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Japanese, Religion : Anglican Church and Shinto, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper class, 

Sid
    Participant
    It is not PC to suggest genetic differences between races. You are starting to think outside of the box that the U.S. media has established for us. If you open this door, the subject of IQ variation between races will be brought to the forefront as well. Read The Bell Curve.

User Detail :  

Name : Sid, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 34, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jim-J
    Participant
    Maybe it's the clearly defined rules and an even playing field. I believe black people will do well in any field where the playing field is level and the way people think of you cannot determine if you are successful or not. For example, the biggest racist in the world could not prevent Michael Jordan from dominating a basketball game, regardless of how hard they tried, but a racist teacher can prevent him from being successful, a racist superior can prevent him from advancing in his career because the rules are subjective and perception matters.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim-J, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine19510
    Participant
    I get absolutly sick of this. The sport is dominated by African- Americans because many of them are pushed into it unless they have exceptional academic skills. Some African-Americans ( esp. boys) are told that if they can dribble a ball even if they have some ability and work 'ridiculosly' hard they can make a better life for themselves ( and this usually takes away form school work). Many times these people came from harder lifestyles. Other races may look more to academics for this kind of advancement ( like some hispanics). May I add, I know people of many diffrent races in high schools that could have well gone on to the olympics or some other proffesional level but as soon as college time rolled around they decided to quite the sport because they wanted an education out of college to live off of, not a sports contract..and these kids were mainly White and Asian.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine19510, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, City : Hartford, State : CT Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Nelson-A
    Participant
    Genetics and social encouragement do play a part in this. Tall and strong black lower-class parents are proud to produce tall and strong basketball players. Tall and strong upperclass whites will most probably produce a tall and strong doctor. Education is a way of playing it safe, which is what most upperclass people of ANY race do. The lowerclass parents have nothing to lose; if the kid makes it to the NBA, great, if he doesn't, community college might be as far as he can go. Get the message? Here in Venezuela, the kids that end up in Major League Baseball (Johan Santana, Ozzie Guillen, Andres Galarraga, Freddy Gracia, etc) ALL come from poorer classes families that cannot provide a top level education but they CAN provide the barrio baseball field. About the NBA, average hispanics are not tall enough. Wait two more generations. Manu Ginobilli is an exception. Some genetics and encouragement/opportunity have to do with it.

User Detail :  

Name : Nelson-A, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 36, City : Caracas, State : NA Country : Venezuela, Occupation : Education, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Aaron
    Participant
    I'd like to say I've read the Bell Curve, have done papers on it in college, and take great offense that you would use that as a basis for any racial argument. I find it sad that in 2005-2006, there are still people would choose to see me as inferior because of my skin color. By the way I gratuated in the top of my class at The University of South Carolina. I guess I beat the curve.

User Detail :  

Name : Aaron, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 29, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : TV Producer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave19535
    Participant
    I'm pretty confident that if you look at the data, you'll see that yes, there are very real, measurable differences among the races in basic physical attributes such as height, and that this is true for both averages (e.g., average height for adult males of each race) and for distributions (e.g., how many adult males are 6'6' or greater). It seems reasonable to believe, based on all of the evidence, that the differences extend to many and perhaps most areas in which physical attributes and/or genetics have an effect, e.g., propensity to develop muscle mass, reflexes, and, yes, intelligence. Such differences seem to be one of the main differences in athletic success. Yes, I'm sure there are others. I don't doubt that more inner-city kids aspire to be pro athletes than do wealthy suburbanites. But to discount measurable physical differences in the races as a significant PART of the reason is silly. As the above poster said, inherent / genetic racial differences are a taboo subject, especially when it comes to intelligence. Too bad. Refusal to discuss something scientific neither changes it nor solves any problems related to it.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave19535, Gender : M, Age : 36, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Benjamin
    Participant
    I have always thought that African-Americans (as opposed to just Africans) were better in sports due in part to natural and human selection. My theory is that many Africans were originally brought to the U.S. as slaves and only the strongest survived the voyage. Of those who survived, the strongest were picked for manual labor. In addition, there was some selective breeding to ensure desirable traits were passed on to the next generation. Keep in mind that this is simply my unresearched hypothesis.

User Detail :  

Name : Benjamin, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 20, City : Bolivar, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Hank
    there are people who have physical attributes giving them an edge in particular sports or other endeavors (including intelligence, maybe) but these attributes are found in every people, blacks, whites, asians, etc.. the genetic markers/physical attributes are inter-changable, because some blacks are short and cannot dance or play basketball, while some hispanics are tall and can play, etc., its just not expected of them. Although genetics does play a factor, it is still more to do with the sociological pressures categorizing people into various boxes of expected activities. thus helping to eliminate those attributes which are unexpected in a given people! the bell curve and arthur jensen's 'g' factor are pure scientific racism that only the weak in mind & understanding fall victim to. period.

User Detail :  

Name : Hank, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 38, City : philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : postal worker, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Cal19548
    Participant
    I agree that it is harder to dicrimate when performance can be objectively measured, but you did not address the other part of the question, which is, why don't other racial minorities do as well in athletics as African Americans? Why aren't there more Hispanic and Asian players in the NBA and NFL? Or another way to look at is why are African Americans not performing as well academically as some other racial or ethnic minorities? Most black families have been in this country for over two hundred years. Why have they not assimilated as well as Asians who arrived much more recently? Do you really think that the majority conciously decides to descrimate more against one racial minority than the other? If we go back 100 years, there was little difference in the way Asian and African minorities were treated. The employment and social opportunities for both were extremely limited. In some ways, it was worse for the Asians because they were, for a time, prevented from becoming citizens. What happened in the last 100 years that has seen the Asians have so much more success than Africans in terms of academic success and professional employment? When you consider the athletic accomplishments of African Americans and their lack of academic accomplishments, you can't simply blame it on discrimination and lack of opportunity. You have to also look at cultural values and yes, maybe even genetics, as politically incorrect as that may be. I don't know if someone trained in the science of gentics would agree, but it is not hard to imagine that African Americans are superior athletes in part because their ancestors were selected for physical strength and endurance. Only the the best physical specimens would have been selected for the slave trade and only the best of the best would have survived the difficult transport in slave ships and the harsh physical treatment they received when they got here.

User Detail :  

Name : Cal19548, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 43, City : Lakewood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Linn
    Participant
    Basketball used to be a Jewish white guy's sport. And there are tons of Latino people in Baseball. Sure, there might be a lot of African American people in basketball, but hockey is all white. You see about an equal amount of blacks and whites in football. Asian American men are also up and coming in basketball, such as Yao Ming. For the guy who said that black guys are genetically stronger, basketball and hockey are both sports that require a lot of upper body strength. (BTW- The Bell Curve is not about black guys in sports. The book you're looking for is called Taboo. And Rushton is both a pseudoscientist and a racist.) And yet look at the amount of black guys in basketball and white guys in hockey. That's because when you look at where black and white kids grow up, black kids usually grow up in inner cities or the rural South, both places where basketball hoops are easier to set up than ice rinks. White kids generally grow up in the suburbs, where ice rinks are common and parents usually have cars and can drive them to rinks. Basketball also doesn't require much equipment beyond a ball and sneakers; hockey requires a stick for each person, masks, and skates. Whites are usually richer and can buy these things.

User Detail :  

Name : Linn, Race : Asian, City : New York City, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Peter
    Participant
    Who in the world can be genetically inclined to play a sport? Any sport? And have the nerve to imply that man made sports are somehow genetically encoded because blacks dominate many sports in america. Well, sorry to disappoint you, but its not. I dont think the smartest geneticist in the world can make it genetic either. Its called skill and practice. While you look at the end result, have you ever think that maybe the amount of practice and playing on the field correlate with the skills they have to achieve? Its like arguing that whites are naturally born to lead all the major corporations and all major operations within the US becuase they are somehow genetically predetermined, as if culture is also genetic. Well sir, circumstances, culture, socioeconomic, and eduational factors play a bigger role than some animalistic genetics theory. Also, your outsider view on the decisions and upbringing of some of there NBA stars is the source of your closemindedness for the sports focus in some neighborhoods that 'makes no sense to you'

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Thomas
    Participant
    The Bell Curve has been disproven. I believe the even-playing field of athletics described by the earlier post. It is also that African-American children are often pushed toward athletic endeavors rather than academic ones because of institutional racism.

User Detail :  

Name : Thomas, City : Delran, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Roman
    Participant
    Its the Fried Chicken. Eat more fried chicken.

User Detail :  

Name : Roman, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Jeff
    Participant
    10% of the world population is white. Whites won 90% of the medals at the olympics. Where are you getting your info.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff, City : Everett, State : WA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.