African-American names

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

LJ
    Participant
    The reason many African Americans give their children 'Arabic' names is because of the fact that Islam has been a dominant feature in West Africa (where most American blacks are from) for hundreds of years. The names represent the Muslim ancestors of African Americans who were forced onto the slave ships as well as those who built the great kingdoms of Mali and Songhay. It has been and remains an integral part of our cultural heritage and is something no African American should be ashamed of showing pride in. It makes as much sense for West Africans and their descendants to use 'Arabic' names as it does every other non-Saudi in the world. P.S. Keisha (in its various spellings) has meanings in both Middle Eastern (Hebrew and Arabic) and African.

User Detail :  

Name : LJ, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, City : Monroe, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

C.
    Participant
    I don't understand what you mean by 'made up.' Did all names you consider non-made up just fall out of a sky? Someone created your name as well.

User Detail :  

Name : C., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shynia
    Participant
    I believe that those African-Americans who name their child such names as you mentioned are only trying to be unique. I hate to get back to the 'old days', but when the slaves were brought over here, they basically could not make up their own mind. They were given names. Well, now that we are free, we feel the need to express ourselves more BECAUSE we are free. You have your way of expressing yourself, and I have my way of expressing myself. We are all just DIFFERENT.

User Detail :  

Name : Shynia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/Latino, Religion : Baptist, Age : 13, City : Fort Washington, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Mother Keesha
    Participant
    It's basically a matter of creative self-expression. However, not all these names are 'made up.' My name, Keesha, is derived from the Holy Hebrew name Kezia that appears in the Bible (Job 42:14). Alternate spellings (Keshia is the most common, but Keesha is even more phonetic) reflect African American pronunciation. Towanda is a combination of the common name Wanda, which traditionally means 'wanderer,' and the prefix To-, which in this case is a variant of the French word petit ('little') widely prefixed to many names by people of African background throughout the Caribbean region. The prefix 'La-' confers femininity and a touch of distinction. 'Lakeshia' can mean something like 'the Keshia who's different from all others.' Anfernee is a phonetic spelling of the old Roman Anthony. Latrell probably comes from the French 'La Traille' and refers to the hard road (or winding trail) that many of us take through life. Darnell is hardly a distinctly African name. It's an English surname meaning 'hidden brook' that survives in contemporary Black America. Many African American names are Arabic in origin, among them Maisha, which means 'livelihood' in both Arabic and Sacred Swahili.

User Detail :  

Name : Mother Keesha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black Jew, Religion : Messianic Judaism, Age : 33, City : New Sodom, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Faith healer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Towanda
    Participant
    First, let me tell you ignorance is not always bliss! My name is not nor was it ever made up. It is derived from Native American. There are names that are made in any ethnicity not just African American because I know little Jessica is not a name derived from anything except Jesse. There are names that are just thought of and there are names with meaning but before you speak make sure the examples that you use are the ones that are made up. Thank you.

User Detail :  

Name : Towanda, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.