Adopting non-Western symbols into Western culture

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jen
    Participant
    As an Indian, for me, it does depend on whether the person sporting a bindhi or bangles or drinking chai is doing it because it's pretty (OK), seems to understand the significance (OK) or is simply trying to be trendy (upsetting). I feel more comfortable wearing beautiful saris out to non-Indian events, but it riles me when people think I bought it at the local boutique.

User Detail :  

Name : Jen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Royal Oak, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Telecom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    To those of non-Western cultures: How does it make you feel to see icons of your culture or religion brought into popular Western society? Specifically, I am thinking of Asian characters being used as popular tattoos or on clothing items, or depictions of the Buddha or geisha girls, or, for Indian people, the use of bindis or mehndi. I would think it would make you proud to see others interested in your culture, as long as they understand the significance. Is this so?

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Framingham, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Crystal
    Western society has integrated Asian icons into its culture, which shows some effort to understand the culture and religion. However, I feel that this is a trend, a chapter of American popular culture that is nearing its end. Celebrities show their homes decorated in their newly found lifestyle according to Chi or Zen (a recent hit) on television, fashion designers use Asian motifs for the runways, and then Americans follow them. Not long ago, I asked a Caucasian girl wearing a shirt with the Chinese character for water on it if she knew what it meant. She did not. So I asked her why, then, she is wearing clothes with symbols she does not know. Her response was that it looked 'cool.' Another time, I met a Caucasian male who had tattooed his name 'in Chinese.' He liked the idea of having several characters that represented something individually for his name. That is equivalent to an American adopting Gundorf as his German name and tattooing it on his arm. When people fashion things that represent my culture and religion, of course it upsets me because it completely undermines their significance. For most people, Asian icons are exotic accessories that are popular at the moment. I wish people would start understanding what they actually mean and stop wearing shirts with 'water' on them.

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Korean, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Irvine, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

SR28492
    Participant
    Just a quick story: two of my aquaintances, one white and the other Japanese, passed a very trendy clothing store recently in which tee-shirts with Japanese characters on them hung in the window. The Japanese kid began to laugh hysterically as he pointed at the shirts. The translation of the tee-shirt message? 'I am a stupid American.' Buyer beware!

User Detail :  

Name : SR28492, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : barista, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.