Reply To: What turns people away from their religion?

Paul J. N.
Participant
Let me preface this by noting that my comments concern a Judeo-Christian background (Catholic). I cannot accept the notion of an all-powerful, all-knowing and all-loving God that allows terrible things to happen to innocent people. Formally, this is known as the Problem of Evil. However, I did not reject my upbringing on the basis of abstract reasoning; rather, I could not bear the immediate sight of innocent suffering. I realized that I could not feel love or awe for a deity which could prevent suffering, yet did not choose to do so. T.S. Elliot put it much more eloquently than I can: 'If you love someone, you don't want them to suffer. You want to take their sufferings on yourself. If even I feel this way, why doesn't God?'

User Detail :  

Name : Paul J. N., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Baton Rouge, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,