Reply To: White fear and prejudice

Rick
There are a million differences in the way blacks and whites live in the United States. For example, I see black kids treated very roughly, being screamed at by their mothers, and fathers, for things that white, Asian or Latino kids wouldn't be punished for. And as with every race, if you're raised around derelicts, you'll know it as the only way to behave, and copy the behavior. If you had close family who were criminals or were in jail, it's how you'd know to act, and might even be seen as part of growing up or a right of passage.

The only solution I can imagine would be a widespread change in the way this population of the black community lives, and I know that's no small order. Who's to teach this? Whites? Not a chance. Other races would come off as insulting or 'disrespectful' by giving such ideas. Whites specifically could never begin to try to tell a black mother that if you scream at your young child, much less smack the child or otherwise abuse him or her, if you let the kid witness illegal actions and unsavory behavior, even if that's what your mother showed you, then that kid is going to continue this cycle, and may grow up to be yet another mugger or thief and further reinforce the stereotype the white powerbase in this country feels to be true. This 'plan' could only work or happen from lessons taught from within the black community, to the black community.

None of this is about race; it's about culture. Black American Culture. Everyone knows that stealing is wrong; sometimes kids are taught (just by watching) that doing wrong things is OK if you don't get caught. It seems that, in public, I see many more black women acting out this way. Asians, Latinos and whites generally tend to treat our young like the fragile, impressionistic sponges that they are. Generally, we try to imprint upon them to 'Do the right thing.'

Sorry if you disagree. But after you've cooled down, think on this: Do you really think that anything that whites will offer you will bring about dramatic, widespread change? Or do you really want dramatic change? Pity, guilt or reparations from whites will not give blacks what they need to stop this cycle of violence and poverty. I hope this population knows this as possibly the ultimate truth - that this change will only come from within.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : san francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,