Reply To: Ebonics and Africa

Wayne24396
Participant
I may not be the best person to answer this, but... As far as I know, most of our African culture was stripped from us over the course of several hundred years, so most African Americans no longer really have a strong cultural tie to Africa. In recent times, many blacks have taken the time to rediscover their ancestry and history. It's becoming quite widespread.

Ebonics? Well, no it does not fit. Ebonics is what developed when it was illegal to teach blacks to read or write. Blacks were also not taught proper English. Then, even after it was legal to do so, many efforts were made to prevent blacks from learning much of anything. Well, you have to communicate some way. Ebonics is what developed. I've been told that Yiddish arose in a simila fashion.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne24396, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 43, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,