Reply To: Large urban families

Jennifer30859
Participant
I read through all the comments on the original question because I've thought about this problem a bit. Someone said it's unfair to ask the poor to abstain, but I think that if I were in that position, I would prevent a pregnancy in any way I could. I realize that I probably live in a world that is much different, but how do we get these overburdened mothers to reduce the number of mouths they bring into the house? And why do they do it constantly? In Alex Kotlowitz's There Are No Children Here, about a Chicago family living in public housing, the mother is having child after child with a dead-beat dad who comes around when the welfare checks come in. How do we teach someone like her not to do this? Is it an issue of self-respect? I don't buy the idea that it's a survival technique for bringing more bread-winners to the household. Shouldn't we be making birth control more available or making abortions more available or something?

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer30859, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Lane, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class,