Reply To: Ebonics: An obstacle to black success?

Brian23038
Participant
I've always felt that the way you speak and carry yourself is very important, and if you change the way you speak/carry yourself to fit each situation, you are not being truthful to yourself or others. Ebonics may be an important part of black history, but I do not feel there is room for it to be taught in schools as a second or primary language. Why should we encourage our children to sound like fools? Those who speak Ebonics sound like idiots (to me, anyway). I apologize to anyone who speaks it as a result of not knowing any other language, your case is the only acceptable reason to speak it, and please, for your own well-being, learn real (not white) English.

Living in the Detroit area, I come in contact with many blacks, and I also have many friends and associates who are black. I have yet to meet someone who speaks this "language," nor have I seen anyone on the cover of any magazine telling of how speaking Ebonics has made their life more successful than they could have ever dreamed.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23038, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class,